Particles coming out of the bath hot water tap

Hello everybody

I have an electric water heater where the water is heated via a resistance 4 kW in a tank of 120 liter. There is a magnesium anode for protection from the corrosion. All the pipes before and after the tank are plastic. There is a filter made of cotton in the start of the piping. I have this heater for about 3.5 years.

Last 6 months I noitced that small particles like flakes are coming out of the hot water bath "telephone". Not every time. I gathered some of them about 15 to 25 pieces with dimension approx. 0.5 mm X 1 mm X 0.1mm. Their color is dark brown or dark grey. They seem like rust to me.

I ask the manufacturer and he told me it could be salt from the water, or small pieces from the anode which is being sucrifised.

Any idea what it could be, or what can I do to find out what is it? I am worried in case the rust is from the tank.

Thank you for your time.

Reply to
Âáñóáìßäçò Êþóôáò

Off the top: try dropping some of this scale into vinegar. How long do the particles last?

Try the same with some surface rust brushed off a rusty casting etc.

I suspect you will soon reach a conclusion. A total dissolved solids meter can be handy too. They can be had on eBay from $20 on up (keyword: TDS meter) Hard water tends to shed more scale. Naturally!

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott