Suspension coil in expansion question.

1> Has there ever been an automobile suspension that used a coil in expansion instead of compression?

2> I may have a need for such a device. How would you capture the coil ends to convert a spring to expansion.

3> Are 'conventional' shocks effective during the out stroke?

If not, are they available?

BoyntonStu

Reply to
stu

snipped-for-privacy@aaronj.com wrote in news:1127063415.096435.129190 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

You mean tension. Not so far as I know.

Look in say Shigley or ask a spring manufacturer. There are a variety of end styles, each with its own advantages and disadvantages.

Yes, although typically they are valved to only give 20-40% of the force on the rebound stroke. It is trivially easy to revalve a shock to give the opposite.

Ah, I guess, you want to use a coil-over strut. I don't think you'll find a satisfactory termination for the spring like that.

Have you considered a torsion spring?

Cheers

Greg Locock

Reply to
Greg Locock

Greg,

.

As to why I asked my question. Imagine a 3 wheel vehicle made from a 4 wheeler. see: see

or
The rear wheel would be placed behind the rear bumper. Imagine the pivot point of a swing arm at the rear bumper. The rear wheel hits a bump and it goes up. The arm extending beneath the car goes down. There are 2 shocks/springs that are available. A 'Y' could connect the swing arm to both spring/shocks.

Just thinking about all the possibilities.

BoyntonStu

Reply to
stu

1) No But some garages with up n over doors are balanced by tension springs. I know, cos I reweldeda broken one which held up well (certainly better than I expected) 2) Clamp, weld bolt etc., etc.

3) They have a different rate constant on rebound using a different internal valve. If you want a free rebound, you could fix up a shock valve appropriately.

You're Welcome

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

snipped-for-privacy@aaronj.com wrote in news:1127098177.648129.292250 @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Well, you'll save yourself a world of hurt by going for springs in compression, or torsion.

Just put the strut between the wheel and the body

Cheers

Greg Locock

Reply to
Greg Locock