Best source for steel tempering

I'm trying to find the best source for ITDs, and/or martempering times and temps. It'd really be nice if there's a source on the web, as our library isn't too great in this area. In particular, I'm looking at M2 & D2 type steels.

Thanks very much, Bob

Reply to
Robert E. Tackett

temps. It'd really be nice if there's a source on the web, as our library isn't too great in this area. In particular, I'm looking at M2 & D2 type steels.

Boehler Uddeholm has a nice .pdf data sheet for D2. Go to

Pittsburgh Pete

Reply to
metalengr

temps. It'd really be nice if there's a source on the web, as our library isn't too great in this area. In particular, I'm looking at M2 & D2 type steels.

Bob:

Isothermal transformation diagrams (ITDs) for D2 and M2 tool steels are on pages 141 and 181 of the vintage book "Metallurgy and Heat Treatment of Tool Steels" by Robert Wilson, McGraw Hill (1975). Diagrams were from Stora steels.

For D2 tool steel the start (1%) of the pearlite reaction is at 725C and 600 sec. For D2 tool steel the start of the bainite reaction is at 250C and 5000 sec. The martensite start temperature is 220C.

For M2 tool steel the start of the pearlite reaction is at 750C and

3000 sec. For D2 tool steel the start of the bainite reaction is at 300C and 800 sec. The martensite start temperature is 220C.

Pittsburgh Pete

DISCLAIMER

We do not believe what we write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for topical (external) use only. This information may not be worth any more than either a groundhog turd, or what you paid for it (nothing). The author may not even have been either sane or sober when he wrote it down. Do not worry, be happy.

Reply to
metalengr