slag foaming basics needed

We have problems where I work with the slag foaming over. At the BOF this causes problems when they need to get a sample and at the Ladle
Treatment Station the ladles will foam over on certain grades ( low carbon .04 to about .12) and this can cause a cap off at the caster when the crane gets stuck to the trunion on the ladle. The engineers are advocating use of slag conditoner and Al bars to the slag to maintain control of the foaming. This helps but does not solve problem. If slag is very foamy and looks like foam on beer when we start treating heat this is very difficult to control vs when slag is flat. Where can I get some basics on this in case something elementary had been overlooked? Can the process be delt with at the BOF stage? Is this a problem of the peritectic grades particularly? I am looking up peritectic but do I need to look into this deeply? The foam is caused when we add carbon as either Mn, bags, or wire. We also throw in bags of rubber at the BOF and at LTS to suppress the foam, but it does not completely solve problem.
Nobeta