Where to buy steel in small quanities?

It's driving me crazy. :/

I've spent years studying tool steels like F2 and O7 for use in knife blades and can't find any for sale.

At this point I'm not going to be picky, a foot or two of any of the following... F1, F2, F3, O7, L1, L7 or (non-AISI/SAE listed) ASM types 231, 350, 355, 414 would be a nice start. :)

I stumbled across the little bit of 50100-B (W7) I have, or I wouldn't have it either. It's from a Western Cutlery auction.

Other than that the only choices I have are 1095 and O1.

Searching the internet for years and even Thomas Register hasn't helped a bit.

Specialty steels just aren't advertised or what?

Got any advice at all?

Alvin in AZ (hobby knifemaker)

Reply to
alvinj

Try McMaster-Carr

Reply to
David Kercsmar

Alvin: You can also find a few tool steels as ground flat stock at suppliers such as J&L Industrial Supply,

Ask your local machine shops to show you some catalogs where they buy their tools!

Pittsburgh Pete

Reply to
metalengr