220-440v transformer

So when you put in 240 on the 220 input the losses might be ok. It depends on the 'regulation' of the transformer - how tightly the two windings are to each other.

Many transformers have multiple taps on the input and/or output for line regulation correction...

Martin

Mart> >> Iggy,

Martin H. Eastburn

Wes -

Think of transforms - they can be designed in many configurations.

Some have loose windings and others have tight coupling between them.

They can be in I, H, 8 or other configurations. I have seen single phase in complex modes that have internal boost/bucking windings to add or subtract.

If a winding is wound over another, the outer winding will have less magnetic field than the one on the metal itself.

I have a set of 6 transforms in my shop. I step up and boost the three phases I generate from a rotary 220 unit. My transformers are over sized from what I did as I over engineered it for two machines running full bore. I use one not two. And I run 1 or 2 motors not 3 on that one.

Martin

Mart> Lew Hartswick wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn

The primaries are wound next tothe core with secondaries on top so reversing the windings will do that. We are talking about E I laminated cores. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Not a whole lot - But if you have 277V/480V 3-Phase 4-Wire Wye service there's a LOT that runs off a single 277V leg to Neutral. Overhead fluorescent and HID lighting, Emergency and EXIT lights, parking lot HID pole lights, and a lot more.

You can cover a 5,000 foot warehouse with two or three circuits of high-bay lighting at 277V or 10 circuits at 120V. Makes it go together a lot faster and easier, and a lot less wire.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Ah, I seem to remember that the primary on my Sansui 8080db receiver was the first winding. Sure didn't care for having to rewind the darn thing, damn idiot they moved into my room in the barracks saw a stereo that was unplugged and just had to plug it in. Power transistors were out due to failure and the leads to them were loose. D*ckhead managed to fry the transformer.

Not sure where the First Sergeant transferred this jerk to, hope it sucked.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Even if you do..that 20 volts ..in the grand scheme of things..really wont mean shit at 400+ volts

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner