3 phase bandsaw question

It seems to me that a static converter would nicely run one of the surplus 3 phase vertical metal bandsaws that I often see on Ebay. But does anyone know
if it would also run the on-board blade welder? If not, has anyone come up with a reasonable solution? TIA
I do not know, but I strongly suspect the on board blade welder runs on single phase. The reason is that if it were to be a three phase welder, it would require extra hardware to transform the three phase into DC to do the welding.
Dan Terry Mayhugh wrote:

surplus 3

anyone know

come up

Why do you think the welder is DC? It certainly could be, but I don't think mine is. My guess is it's a single phase unit, just as almost all coolant pumps on 3 phase lathes are single phase. - GWE
snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

I do not think it is a DC welder. But if it were a 3 phase welder, it could not be an AC welder unless one added a lot of components. It would require adding fewer components to have it be a DC welder, but there would be no advantage and it would cost more. Dan
Grant Erwin wrote:

think
coolant
runs on

phase

snipped-for-privacy@austin.rr.com says...

The welder will almost certainly require only single phase. It's possible that the grinder motor will require three phase, but that's not the case with the one on my old DoAll. Both the saw and welder run just fine on a static converter as long as the welder is connected to the two normal hot legs. BTW, for a basic 16" saw the DoAll Metalmasters or MLs are hard to beat and show up pretty regularly on ebay.
Ned Simmons
On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 01:35:59 GMT, "Terry Mayhugh"

Most of the blade welders are 220vac single phase. Simply pull off two of the three lines and run the blade welder. Use any two of the three..though L1 and L3 are best (the two non generated legs)
This does NOT work with a VFD. Use the single phase 220 line before the VFD. (and yes..a VFD works very nicely on a band saw)
Gunner