3 phase bandsaw question

It seems to me that a static converter would nicely run one of the surplus 3 phase vertical metal bandsaws that I often see on Ebay. But does anyone know if it would also run the on-board blade welder? If not, has anyone come up with a reasonable solution? TIA

Reply to
Terry Mayhugh

dcaster

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Reply to
Robert Swinney

The welder will almost certainly require only single phase. It's possible that the grinder motor will require three phase, but that's not the case with the one on my old DoAll. Both the saw and welder run just fine on a static converter as long as the welder is connected to the two normal hot legs. BTW, for a basic 16" saw the DoAll Metalmasters or MLs are hard to beat and show up pretty regularly on ebay.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Most of the blade welders are 220vac single phase. Simply pull off two of the three lines and run the blade welder. Use any two of the three..though L1 and L3 are best (the two non generated legs)

This does NOT work with a VFD. Use the single phase 220 line before the VFD. (and yes..a VFD works very nicely on a band saw)

Gunner

Gunner

I do not think it is a DC welder. But if it were a 3 phase welder, it could not be an AC welder unless one added a lot of components. It would require adding fewer components to have it be a DC welder, but there would be no advantage and it would cost more. Dan

Grant Erw> Why do you think the welder is DC? It certainly could be, but I don't think

Reply to
dcaster