4 wheel drive rolling effort vs 2 wheel drive

I have an '90 Audi 200 Quattro wagon with about 260K miles on the clock. In the last several years I've logged four 6000 mile trips to the National parks. It's chipped for 15psi boost, with a larger intercooler to give about 250hp, so it goes okay for a 21 year old car. I run the GPS during the trips, and the moving average speed for the trips has been fairly consistent at around 72 to 74 mph. To average 72-74 overall, I needed to run ~ 85 mph on the interstate highways, to average out the much lower speeds on secondary roads etc. On these trips my overall mpg has varied from 27-29mpg, with fuel stops about every 450 miles. This is total trip miles divided by total gallons of consumed with two people and a lot of luggage as well as a lot of miles in the mountains and on dirt roads. The GPS miles run 5% less than the odometer miles, which is due to the tire size being slightly larger than OEM. I've mentioned the numbers to a few people, but most say impossible. I remember reading literature that Audi put out when the Quattro's were first introduced in the '80's that said in testing at speeds over ~70mph the overall rolling resistance of the tires is less when the driving torque is evenly split among 4 tires vs 2 tires even when losses of an extra axle etc are factored in. I think the other factor is that the car is turbocharged which probably makes it a little more thermally efficient, at least at higher speeds, and it's fairly aerodynamic. In daily driving around town the mileage is lower, around 18-20mpg which is not great compared to newer cars weighing in the 3700 lbs range. Be really interesting to see if there are lower overall losses at medium speeds with an efficient 4 wheel drive system. The older Quattros had 3 differentials, an open diff with a vacuam lockup in the rear, a Torsen in the center, and an open front diff.

Reply to
oldjag

My sister's Audi shows MPG in the low 30's on the highway.

Honda CR-Vs come in 2 and 4WD and the difference in MPG is quite small:

I recorded 27MPG on a highway trip in April, normal mileage in stop- and-go urban traffic is in the low 20's.

My 4WD Ranger (2.3l) got about the same results when I used it for commuting. Both topped out at 28-29 MPG in the summer.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Audi Quattros are full-time four-wheel drive. A 1990 model would have a torque-sensing center differential. No gear grinding.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I just did a 4 day trip through CA, OR and WA last weekend. Car is a 1995 Subaru Outback with automatic and 3 liter 6. All wheel drive with about 170k miles on the clock. Aggressive snow/all weather tires, 89 octane gas.

Here's what I got:

Pretty close to your numbers. Around town is way worse, just like yours.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I have a Honda Civic Hybrid, and get a little over 50 MPG tooling around town. On long trips, I tend to want to get there, and am usually lugging tons of stuff, like a desktop milling machine, several computers, and a bunch of other heavy stuff to a show. I still get about 47-49 MPG on those trips.

People tell me about getting over 70 MPG with these, but I have no idea how they do that. It is a 2WD car, of course. (gloat off)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I had an '87 Quattro 4000. I recall that claim as well, and in fact, Car and Driver addressed it. I wish I had better recall of exactly what the article said, but Audi's claim needed a lot of justification. If I remember correctly, what they actually claimed (when contacted by C and D) was that the mileage was better with all wheels driven, but only when compared to a 4 wheel drive car with the second axle just coasting. The ad *implied* that the all wheel drive system got better mileage than a 2 wheel drive system, but such was not the case.

And I think C and D did a test with the rear drive shaft disconnected, and got basically the same mileage each way. The claim was for a very tiny mileage difference anyway.

I loved that first generation Quattro system. All wheels were always driven, with a normally open center differential. A 3 position switch sequentially locked up the center diff, then the rear diff. In that mode I used to beg for snow and go out and pick fights with Jeeps.

And while we're talking about 3 position switches, remember, Lucas invented the three position switch: Dim, Flicker and Off.

Reply to
DT