50 HZ motor ?

I have a new Gast rotary vane vacuum pump. Model no. 0522-V103-G21DX The motor is a GE 1/4 hp, 220v, 50HZ, 1425 rpm.

I pulled the cover, for the power cord, only 2 lugs, so no voltage options. The other Gast pumps I have are 1725 rpm.

20% over speed, would give 1710 rpm. The question is, can this pump be run at 240v 60Hz, without the magic smoke leaking out.

I'm going to sell it, so I don't want to blow it up.

Reply to
Gary A. Gorgen

Probably, but try it. Run it for an hour or so & see. Knowing what an honorable seller you are, I know that you will be upfront about the 50 Hz & 220v ratings, so you want to be able to tell your buyer that you ran it on 240 60Hz without problems.

You certainly don't want to sell it without testing, only to have it smoke-out for the buyer.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Risky. I wouldn't try that without first asking either Gast or one of their authorized repair center gods.

-- Life is full of obstacle illusions. -- Grant Frazier

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The motor will probably be fine. Speed won't burn it out, overheating will, and a 50Hz motor run at 60Hz will be fine. The reverse is not true though.

The load from the pump is the other issue. I sort of doubt gast has special pump bodies for 50Hz use. It's probably a domesting pump that's derated for the lower motor speed, so again, you're probably going to be fine as long as you don't overload the pump. The pump ratings for 50Hz won't be valid for 60Hz use.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Cydrome Leader fired this volley in news:il6b18 $bfv$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.panix.com:

I go with that. The motor won't overheat from too high a frequency, it will overheat from too low a frequency. The 20% overspeed shouldn't be a major problem, either, for the above reason.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

You get a little more HP out of it too.

John

Reply to
John

That was my guess, but I wanted to check. This is a dry rotary vane pump, I don't think it can be overloaded.

Reply to
Gary A. Gorgen

Gary - What is the motor model #?

Many are rated for 50/60hz use on the web site / via technical support brochures but do not say so on the label fixed to the motor.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

5KH39KG427T

The plate says 50Hz, not 50/60 Hz.

I didn't have much luck finding anything, probably asking wrong. There is G21DX, on the plate. Also part of the Gast part no.

Reply to
Gary A. Gorgen