Gloat Electric Motor

Well that is, if it is fixable. 7.5 HP Baldor Industrial Motor 110 to 440V 1725 rpm free !
The shaft won't turn all the way around by hand, but it has grease
zerts. This should be big enough for generating power for the whole property minus the washer and dryer. Plus could switch for my imaginary 330 and 440 machines in the future. Now for the small diesel and learn bio-fuel aka veggy oil.
Just got it, any good sites on procedures, never took apart one this size before. I think I have one puller to my name so I'm thinking this might be a project. Hopefully it doesn't have obvious magic smoke loss on the inside.
Seems like every year we have high winds and the power is off for days. Last time I fixed and set up two houses for other people before I did mine. The main concern is running a 2 HP 220V well pump from 300' away. Or if I had to set it up by the main power feed. Yes I know about back feed consideration, but what if the power goes out for weeks?
SW

Just take it apart and see, it should be easy and is likeyl fixable.

Are you implying that an induction motor can be used as a generator?
You'd be way better off to saw out the copper...
LLoyd
On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 12:20:50 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Well , yeah. That won't work? No magnets?
SW
Sunworshipper wrote:

No magnets. If I recall, you can use an induction generator to *add* power, but you need another generator running to provide the excitation.

Not true with 3 phase motor.

So, how would you use a three phase motor as a generator?
On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 15:26:26 -0600, Ignoramus6201

You put motor run (AC) capacitors accross 2 phases and take power off the third.. You need to run it just over nameplate RPM, start it with no load, and it automatically shuts down if overloaded.
On a single Phase motor you put the caps across the load.

I am very surprised to read about it. Do you have any kinds of references that I could take a look at?
Ignoramus6201 wrote:
(...)

http://www.qsl.net/ns8o/Induction_Generator.html http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4537908/Motors_As_Generators_for_Micro-Hydro_Power
--Winston
Winston wrote:

So, would the same idea work on a 3-phase motor, with 3 identical capacitors, one per winding, and get 3-phase out?
That _would_ be cool. :-)
I don't like the load regulation deal, but I'm already thinking about some kind of regulation circuit - a shunt regulator could probably be made with a bridge and a mongo pass element, but that's terribly inefficient...
Cheers! Rich
On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 22:47:39 -0600, Ignoramus6201

Google 'induction motor generator conversion' - there is a ham operator has a site up - and I think something like "otherpower.com" as well.
www.prairieturbines.net - article on a 3 phase motor/generator with 1 phase tied to a local power company's lines.
Hul
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@kbrx.com wrote:

http://www.prairieturbines.com /
On Dec 4, 1:20pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:> Are you implying that an induction motor can be used as a generator?

An induction motor can be used as a generator. Now it isn't designed for that, so it has some limitations.
Search on Google for " induction motor generator " and you will find lots of information, more than I want to type.
Dan

Yeah, like the worst load regulation known to man.
Yes, they can be excited externally, and then made to generate power. But unless you want to run resistive loads only, and then with around 15% load regulation, they're not effective.
Besides, with that motor he had, he'd have blown a few hundred watts just in excitation losses.
NOT an effective approach, especially for someone who knows nothing about motors.
LLoyd
On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 12:20:50 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Most definitely CAN be used as a generator. Needs a few good caps - and it needs to be a 3 phase motor to do it relatively easily.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca fired this volley in

and you need to not care about load regulation.
LLoyd

It's TOAST. Bummer
My puller could be modified to get the bearings off, hopefully they are the same size cause I'm off to see if someone has a bigger puller. Suppose ya have to press the stator off to get the shaft for other uses.
It wouldn't turn cause of the 3/32" copper beads in the bottom.
SW

Take it to the scrap dealer, they pay out for motors.