aluminum soldering report

I just tried a few minutes ago soldering aluminum with tinning flux. The tinning flux didn't seem to give any advantage over regular flux. I used a .09 thick sheet of 6061. First I tried a brass brush to clean the aluminum but the brush was too soft to abrade away the oxide coating. So I used a piece of coarse sandpaper to sand through the flux. This is not ideal as it leaves particles behind but I'm down to my last clean SS brush and didn't want to contaminate it. After cleaning I tried three different solders, tin/antimony, tin/silver/bismuth, and 50/50 tin lead. After heating the aluminum I applied the solders and used a flat bladed screwdriver to abrade the already abraded surface and spread the solder around. The tin/antimony solder just would not wet the aluminum. The other two solders wet the aluminum just fine. I still like the mainly zinc solder that's made for aluminum best for joining two aluminum parts but if I needed to attach a wire to aluminum or needed to keep things at a lower temperature I would use the tin/silver/bismuth solder. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Useful info. Thanks Eric!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

You're Welcome

Reply to
etpm

That's great, Thanks for the report. What is the tinning flux and regular flux? (Rosin, Activated Rosin?) I should be getting my order from McM-C today, and I'll post any success.. (or failure.)

It'd be nice to just use some 'regular' solder.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The tinning flux and regular flux are the type used for soldering copper pipe. The stuff with zinc chloride in it. Not the new water based stuff. The tinning flux I bought is sold in a kit with a little acid brush ans a small roll of tin/silver/bismuth solder. Eric

Reply to
etpm