Anodizing and Powdercoat Compatibility Questions

Let's say you had a piece of flat stock Aluminum that you wanted to Anodize on one side, and powdercoat on the other.

Will the temperature range needed to cure the powdercoat affect the anodizing? (350*F - 450*F for arguement's sake)

Best,

Weyland

Reply to
Weyland

Shouldn't, but if it's dyed it could have some affect on the color. That may or may not be true of the aluminum, assuming it's a heat treatable grade.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Errr... what could affect the color? The powder, or the heat? I'm thinking of having some things anodized the typical red, blue, and black (only one color per piece), but have to powdercoat the other side of these things so wanted to see how it might affect them. They're only in the oven for 20 minutes for powdercoating.

thanks,

Weyland

Reply to
Weyland

Chuckle! Yeah, I guess I left that up in the air. I would be concerned about the affect of heat on the color of the anodizing----the heat used in curing the powder coating. I have no clue if it would, or not---just thinking out loud. The other thing I'd consider is if powder coat will stick to the anodized piece---or do you plan to mask for anodizing? I'm guessing the best way to find out is to run a sample of each color exactly as required and measure the outcome. I lean towards it working fairly well----

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos