Another Defective Metal Product

Ooops. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

I have seen reports that US military intentionally plants rounds that are designed to explode upon firing, so that insurgents would blow them up. Kids pick up those mortar rounds, sell them and resell them, and then they fall into insurgents hands and explode when fired.

I personally think that it is a great idea.

Reply to
Ignoramus20172

No kidding! I've seen another video of a mortar exploding. Any idea what causes this?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

This is our asymmetric version of a roadside bomb.

Ignoramus20172

War is hell. Only idiots try to make it civilized.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Let's have a sanity check on this. If it was real, how did the video get out? And wouldn't the camera have suffered?

Reply to
newshound

I do not think that making rigged ammunition is uncivilized.

Reply to
Ignoramus20172

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:09:44 -0800, the infamous Jon Anderson scrawled the following:

Instant Karma, of course. What _else_ could it be?

-- Change is the process by which the future invades our lives. -- Alvin Toffler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The camera may have been captured at a later time with the video on it. There is nothing to say that the camera WASN'T damaged but if it was, not to any major degree. It may well have been outside the major blast area, using a tele lens. Any number of logical scenarios here.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

There was a highly classified (and effective) program that planted doctored ammo during the Viet Nam war. It has just recently been declassified.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Roger that. Any notion of civilized warfare is ridiculous. Warfare is not a sport.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Got a link to any stats?

It would be interesting to see how many gomers we dispatched that way.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

We need some exploding Meth around here.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

I've often thought that law enforcement should be empowered to set up "honeypots." Put an anhydrous ammonia tank out in a field where anyone can reach it without much difficulty. Load it with hydrogen cyanide instead of ammonia.

Evolution in action.

Terry

Reply to
Terry

So, after it kills the Meth chemist, Who closes the valve?

Can you say Bhopal?

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

Google "operation eldest son" and on "doctored ammo".

The benefit wasn't so much how many gomers got directly dispatched as it was upon morale. Psywar. When one gomer gets killed by his own weapon, all that see or hear about that event get nervous. Having trepidations about firing one's weapon can significantly diminish one's effectiveness in combat, more so in attack than in defense but the VC was seldom in defensive mode by virtue of being diffuse.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Check this site:

Some parts of this document are not offered free via internet.

Reply to
Don Foreman