Giant crane salvages ships beached by tsunami

Holy smokes. Check out the size of this barge bourne crane in Japan:

Huge. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

That's like something the russians would make, except it works and hasn't sunk yet.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

The barge crane is lifting the barge crane!

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

Must be pretty iffy to lift stuff with a vessel mounted crane, a lot of tipover possibilities. No way to extend support feet!

Ignoramus8679

But there's an unlimited supply of pumpable ballast available.

*This* is a couple of big marine cranes. Not really a fair comparison since it's a floating drydock rather than a barge, but it did travel here from China. It's passing my favorite surfing spot in the first two pics. The destroyer in the last pic is 500 feet long.

Ned Simmons

Sure there is, in shallow shore and bay areas it would be possible. But more likely, they use movable ballast. That means both vessels sink if the cables or slings let go.

-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Man, there's ICE in that water. You surf there? Brrr! And I thought SoCal water was cold...

Hmm, it has been 45 years since I last surfed. I gave it up for skimboarding, then girls.

-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You must be really good. Maine doesn't have a sandy beach that long.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Aww, thats just a puppy, now *heres* A Crane-

H. :)

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Sorta like tracked cranes :-)

Reply to
John B.

Well it's been almost 45 years since I've surfed in water that cold myself. For a geezer like me half the fun is sitting in the water and relaxing on a nice day.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I'm more old than good. That's Popham Beach at the mouth of the Kennebec. It's about 3 miles long. Old Orchard must be almost twice that.

Reply to
Ned Simmons