Giant Seamaster

I just got a giant seamaster from the estate of a fellow club member. I'm at least the third owner.

I'm currently stripping the painted fabric covering to redo with monokote, and some repairs.

What engine ranges was this plane designed for? Its fairly heavy, the builder went a little overboard with filler in the tail fillets, thats something I'm going to work on.

Any suggested mods? Do any of the fiberglass part makers have cowls and nose cones for this plane?

John

Reply to
JohnT.

I have seen one fly on a ST 3000. I think it can be done with a Saito 150, but I don't recall if he ever flew that one.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

I flew mine with a G-38. A ST3000, as mentioned, is a good choice also. I think a 1.50 Saito would be marginal or not fly. The last I looked you could still buy the upper pod from Fiberglass Specilties or one of the major supply companies. Mine is down for a recover after many years of service. It may be many years before I get it back in the air. Also... It flys fine from wheels, and yes, they are a heavy airplane, that is normal.

Reply to
Flyinglindy

Good. I have a G-38 I can put in this plane, I just want to make sure that wasn't underpowered (!).

No way I'd put a Saito 150 on this. this plane is just too heavy.

The engine pod glass could be stripped and fixed up, but the fuse nose cone is broken and missing pieces. If I cant find one, its scratch time.

John

Reply to
JohnT.

The G-38 flys it well but you would not want less. Best of luck...

Reply to
Flyinglindy