Giant Scale size limits?

I have a friend on an aviation forum who is adamantly convinced that RC models are restricted by law to 1/4 scale or smaller. Yes, I know it's absurd -- a 57-foot B-36 would be OK but a 5-foot Pitts S-1 would not -- and when I point him to ads for larger kits he just ignores them.

So I'm interested in where he might have gotten this impression. Is there any contest, organization, or insurance plan that limits model size on the basis of scale that he might have interpreted as regulatory? Thanks...

rj

Reply to
Ralph Jones

Anything of quarter scale and larger or larger than 80 inches is considered giant scale, and eligible to fly at the giant scale organization meets.

AMA, the biggest model airplane organization has insurance limits that only go up to 55 pounds. Anything larger is by special waiver, as I remember correctly, and there might be a waiver system in place for turbine powered models, too.

Generally, the FAA is not interested in regulating our models, if they are flown in sight of the pilot, and that they are not flown in controlled airspace without agreement, and perhaps not at all in A or B class airspace.

Reply to
Morgans

I believe there is an upper limit to size or weight, above which certain FAA regulations come into force: Certainly I have seen RC planes that are more powerful and a similar size to a microlight aircraft. Thisi doesn't prevent the planes being flown, but IIRC they are subject to more stringent tests..and maybe some form of CAA certification.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The UK CAA do indeed specify weight limits for model aircraft, above which you have to prove that the model aircraft has been built to a suitable standard. The details can be found in CAP658, which is available here:

Simon.

Reply to
Simon Clubley

Thanks...a well-detailed and very reasonable-sounding code.

rj

Reply to
Ralph Jones