How to replace covering with elevator and rudder on

I would like to know how to replace the covering on my fuse with the rudder and elevator still on the airplane. It flies very well and I don't want to make any changes that may cause it not to fly as well.

Thanks

Reply to
billshat44

CAREFULLY cut the covering about 1/4" - 3/8" in back of the hinge line and remove the old covering.

When putting the new covering on, seal the edges down, and PARTIALLY tighten the covering WITH AN IRON. Now go over the seam at the hinge line with your iron turned up to the maximum temp THE COVERING can take. Now you can finish tightening/shrinking the covering.

Remember to rebalance the plane after. While the same covering may be used, there may be weight differences between rolls.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 04:49:40 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in :

Think ahead.

You know that you won't be able to wrap the covering over the hinge line.

Leave the old covering intact there, along with (say) a quarter-inch all around to give the new covering something to stick to tightly.

If your new covering won't stick to the old, then you're in big trouble. :o(

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Hi Ted, I think the OP wants to recover the entire fuselage not the elevator and rudder. Ed F.

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

When you remove the covering from the fuselage, leave a quarter inch around the tail feather joints onto the fuselage. Cut new fuselage pieces to meet just at the joint. Don't try to cover with one or 2 pieces. If the fuselage cross section is rectangular, use at least 4 pieces - joints/overlaps will be invisable.

Before covering make sure any old covering you are overlapping is clean. I use alcohol first then rough up with steel wool then final wipe with either acetone or the solvent used for adhering coverings. This solvent is terrific for making sure the underneath layer is clean enough for a good bond.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Smega