Building the AMA SUT Part 4

Part 4

OK, we are almost thru with the basic construction of the nacelles and its time to think ahead a bit. The magazine tells you to discard the aluminum engine mount and use some GP nose wheel mounts instead. This may not be a good idea as with the engines set back on the wings this will have a dramatic effect on the CG. We are going to use the engine mount for added weight as I expect it will be tail heavy to start and then apply a Fults type nose wheel gear. It should fit as I believe both are 5/32 in diameter. Plus having the engine mount there will make it easy to add lead weights and achieve correct balance.

Additionally we plan not to make two hatch covers but only one. I have soaked two pieces of light play and screwed them down and let them sit for 48 hours so they retain the curvature of the nacelle bottom. The directions give no hint of where the thrust washer on the engine should be from the firewall and the ARF manual gives no hint as well. So I am placing the engine on the mounts so that the thrust washer is

4 inches from the firewall. This leaves about 3/16 to =BC inch clearance for the spinner disc.. If you end up a little tight, you can always sand off a little from the front of the nacelle. One final note here. Place each motor mount in a vise and pre-drill the engine mounting holes. No need to mount the engine, just make sure the screws or bolts all match up with the drilled holes. Next step, some pre-finishing and beginning to mount the nacelles.
Reply to
Ted

I'm enjoying this, thanks, mk

[...]

4 inches from the firewall. This leaves about 3/16 to ¼ inch clearance for the spinner disc.. If you end up a little tight, you can always sand off a little from the front of the nacelle. One final note here. Place each motor mount in a vise and pre-drill the engine mounting holes. No need to mount the engine, just make sure the screws or bolts all match up with the drilled holes. Next step, some pre-finishing and beginning to mount the nacelles.
Reply to
MJKolodziej