Building the AMA SUT Part 7

Part 7 Mounting the Nacelles on the wings.

The assumption here is you have NOT joined the wing halves together. Its much easier that way. After I mounted the first nacelle I discovered it would have been much easier if I had removed the fuel tank and left the hatches uncovered. This is where F-1 and F-1A com into play. I don't recall if I told you to epoxy F-1 in or not previously. But if not, refer to the plans and epoxy them in now. Its not easy to apply pressure to this joint so I enlarged the slot and used a piece of lite plat stuck down in it to accomplish this. I let it cure for 24 hours. Insure that the former is flush against the wing covering sheet. After it cures trial fit F-1A and make sure it can rotate around the stubs that it will mount to. It doesn't hurt to make the slots a little big as they will be filled with epoxy anyway. Trial fit the Nacelle onto the wing with F-1A in position (not glued yet!) in the nacelle per the plan. Even though you may squared everything, it probably will not be snug fit along the wing airfoil due to the curve. OH, make sure the motor mounts and throttle push rod are installed but leave the gas tank out. Line up the Nacelle with the masking tape on the wings as best you can. This will give you the straightest line possible. Once you have it aligned as best you can, use a tiny amount of thin CA on the rear of the nacelle to hold it in position. F-1 will keep the front on track. Mix a batch of 30 or 45 minute ep[oxy and using an epoxy brush cram as much as you can between the wing starting from the frony t working your way back, The CA should keep the end down and just give you enough room. Insure you are wood to wood and not film. Then, turn the nacelle over and heavily coat F-1 and F-1A and place in position. Use your finger to get F-1A snug against the curve of the front of the wing. F-1 should have a pretty snug fit against the sides of the nacelle and should not move. Seciure as best you can and let sit over night. I used a sheet of balsa and placed a brick on top to hold it in place (wing was upside down.). More to follow.

Reply to
Ted