Building the AMA SUT Part 2

Part 2

Assembling the nacelles. We looked long and hard at the plans to determine exactly where the formers went. The hardest one to figure out is f-4. It goes on the bottom, laterally between the nacelle sides. Oh almost forgot. You have to glue the balsa and light ply sides together first. Insure the balsa is on the out board side of each nacelle. Back to f-4. It has a dual purpose that is not readily apparent. It is a former as well as the anchor for the gas tank hatch cover. You have to position the firewall first by drawing a line from the notch on the top of the nacelle sides to the bottom where the notch on the ply inside wall of the nacelle. You really need to study the plans here to get the angle on the firewall correct. We tack glued with thin CA the firewall and f-3 at the back end of the nacelle. In fact we tack glued everything with thin CA and then went back after everything was in place and square and used Gorilla glue to ensure a tight bond. Ah, forgot one other thing. Install the blind nuts in the firewalls before you glue them in. So now you have f-3, f-4, f-5 and f-6 as well as the firewall in place. More in Part 3.

Reply to
Ted