Re: Thunder Tigre new engine mount source?

I pranged my Thunder tigre trainer (MKII) last weekend, and broke the engine

> mount (nothing else thankfully!). > > Trouble is, I can't find a replacement engine mount to fit the existing > mounting points on the firewall. > > I thought I'd found the exact replacement in the Ripmax adjustable engine > mount, but the mounting holes aren't in the right place. > > Has anyone experience of this model / know where I can find a replacement > engine mount? > > Jim > > > -- > --- > Jim Main > >
Reply to
MK

No definitely not, the Thunder Tiger mount is a three piece item consisting of back plate and two T beams which slot into place and allow good adjustment in several directions. IMO excellent mounts compared to other ARF and many after market USA branded mounts. All such mounts are designed as a sacrificial item to avoid breaking the mounting lugs of your engine as is often the case with aluminium motor mounts. The force required to break these mounts would otherwise have caused expensive damage to your engine - a mount is a very cheap item to replace, even if occasionally an after market e.g. Du-Bro mount is used and may necessitate drilling 2 or 4 extra holes in the fire wall - one extra set of holes would not diminish the strength of the firewall - many people drill out a lot of extra holes to reduce weight - early models did not use a full firewall. FWIW replacements mounts available at

regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Links

A.T.

One option, plug the existing mounting holes with hardwood dowels, then redrill the firewall to fit the new mount. You will want to tap out the old blind nuts, then drill out the holes and fit with appropriately sized dowels. Epoxy them into place, and sand flush.

Once the new mounting holes are drilled, use a length of music wire with a wheel collar secured to one end to pull the blind nuts into place from behind.

Alan Harriman

Reply to
Alan Harriman

I bit the bullet in the end and built a new firewall with a stock engine mount (probably make it easier the next time I nosedive it! ;-)

Jim

Reply to
Jim M

Reply to