Test flight of giant AT-6

One of our club members test flew a giant AT-6 today at the Rockwall club field. I'm not sure who made the kit. It's a fiberglass fuselage. Power is a G-62, weight around 30 pounds, wing loading around 50 ounces. The file is 13-14 mb so it takes a while to download if you do not have a high speed connection.

Regards,

Carrell

Reply to
Carrell

This naked bird would suggest the pilot wasn't overly optimistic that the maiden flight was going to be successful. Was the wing loading really 50 oz.? That seems awfully high. I would have thought around 30 max.

Reply to
strathboy

Since I'm on dialup I don't even try to view movies on line. Cut to the chase what happened? I am very familiar with T-6 as I race Giant Scale Racers see.

One of our classes is T-6 racing the planes have morfed into some very fast planes with the G-62 up front. You mentioned that you didn't know who the kit MFG was but could it be a RacePro or Aerosport plane? The Aerosport is quite expensive and has a laminar flow airfoil. The weight looks about right for our raceplanes not sure about the wing loading though. Once you get over the intimidation of the size of these planes you will learn they fly great! Sparky

Reply to
Elmshoot

====================== It was a nice smooth flight.

The wing loading numbers came from the owner. I also found out the kit is from Yellow Aircraft. Here is a note from the pilot:

The plane is a Yellow Aircraft Texan powered by a G62. I should know, I bought it I was also the pilot in the video. This is a joint effort between me and the builder for scale competition. The plane handles great. Sorry you don't like the music, but the drone of the engine gets old after 4 minutes. Also, the plane wasn't really supposed to fly yet. We were going to just taxi test it to see if any of the handmade hinges and other parts worked loose. That last run down the runway we were going to just hop it a few feet in the air to see if it had weird takeoff habits, but it just floated up and up and away we went lol

2 clicks of right aileron and 2 clicks of up elevator is all it needed. Now the finishing job is next which should take a few months with all the detail planned for this plane.
Reply to
Carrell

APC makes a T6 prop for the G62. It is pretty high pitch. The plane will really scoot along but if you want to try to see how fast it will go.The yellow T6 will fly great. Don't sweat the wing loading big planes can carry the load. If he is interested in racing and having a hoot come out and race with us. There are no secrets and lots of people will help you learn the ropes. Sparky

Reply to
Elmshoot

Looked pretty good for being naked, seemed to handle pretty well didn't see anything to indicate the problem was having any control problems.

congrats looks like a keeper to me.

tomb

Reply to
tomb046