Martin P6M Seamaster

Hi, New to the group. Can anyone tell me where I can find a scale model kit of the Martin P6M Seamaster? Also, any Special Ops aircraft, e.g., MH-53 Pave Low, MH-60 Pave Hawk, Ac-130U Spectre gunship? Thanks for any and all guidance. Gunship

Reply to
Len House

Pave Low Jolly is available in 1/72 scale from Italeri Also AC-130U from Italeri (I think)

Reply to
SiG

Try here- Anigrand does great work.

or
For the others, you didn't specify a scale but I'd suggest surfing the online hobby shops like
and
Or eBay.

You could try Googling for "1/72 MH-53 Pave Low" for example.

Curt

Reply to
Curt

Revell did a box scale Seamaster that's almost exactly 1/144, and Airmodel did a vacuform in 1/72 that's not for the timid.

Reply to
Jessie C

And once one sands away the overly-prominant surface detail on the Revell kit...it actually looks quite good. I have had one in the "almost ready to paint" stage for quite some time.

The Airmodel kit has a use to: It serves to kind of show you about how big the thing should be, when you end up scratchbuilding it in 1/72nd scale.

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

The only injection molded P6M kit I'm aware of is the odd-scale Revell effort of the late 50s. Airmodel issued a 1/72 vacuform in the mid-70s and Combat later reissued the same kit in the 80s.

The vacuforms would be, I should think, exceedingly rare but you might stumble across one. The Revell kit is probably available from the usual suspects (i.e., e-bay) if you look long enough.

I don't believe I ever saw the vacuform kits at all. The Revell effort, IIRC, was quite 50ish - somewhat crude by modern standards but buildable, the weird scale not withstanding

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

Reply to
Ben Valdevarona

This sites shows the results of the Airmodel kit:

MGFoster

The 1980's series was called the "History Makers". The kit I have, is from a later release under the Revell-Lodela label. I am not sure how recent this edition is.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

According to the instruction sheet it's 1/136th scale. That's close enough to 1/144th for me. They were re-issued sometime in the '80s in the Masterpiece Models (?) series. I'm not sure of that last title and I don't have the box about anymore. Check your references to find out exactly which P6M the kit represents. IIRC, the decals suggest one that the parts do not.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Interesting colour problem. I always thought it was in Sea Blue Gloss and it looks that way in most pictures I have. I wonder if the pictures were adjusted because the adjusters thought it 'should' be blue.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I am surprised no one has mentioned the forthcoming Anigrand all resin kit of this beautiful bird. In 1/72nd this is going to be a rather big model, but what a fantastic subject.

Due out in June and suspect it will be a bit expensive, but short of an unexpectedly outrageous price it is on my "gottahave" list.

I have several Anigrand kits and I think they are very nicely done. Being all resin, they are not for the casual or inexperienced, but since the bigger stuff comes with thin fuselages and very little excess resin, they are quite comparable with plastic construction.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer

The Revell kit is the P6M-1 variant.

Reply to
Jessie C

The P6M-1s were gloss blue, but the Airmodel kit is the P6M-2. Either the colour scheme was changed (and ISTR that all navy seaplanes went to the Engine Grey/White scheme for a while), or it never flew at all and that's a conjectural paint job. The last time I looked at the Ginter book was too long ago : (

Reply to
Jessie C

In 72nd scale, Italeri makes a range of H-53 kits including a MH-53J Pave Low III. Most reviews seem favourable. Again in 72nd scale, Hasegawa make a MH-60G Pave Hawk. I'm not aware of any OOB Pave Hawk in 48th scale by Cobra Company make a conversion kit of Italeri etc UH-60 kits.

Cheers Ultan

Reply to
Ultan Rooney

I've got a little Marlin that I'm doing in Engine Grey/White. Pretty attractive scheme. I do firmly recommend Stan Piet's book. All the pictures inside are B&W but the information there is just fabulous. There's one great pic of a model of the assembly line. Hard to tell what scale it is but the planes are fairly big.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller