A mystery print.

Hi Folks, wonder if some of you gents in the know regards US Air Force squadrons in the 90's could help me identify a print I picked up at a charity shop today for $5, it is about 20'' x 30'' and is a print of a very well executed pencil drawing of three Hercules aircraft and two helicopters. The three Hercs are all different models and the two choppers I think are MH-53's as the print is signed by over 50 crew namely pilots. loadmasters, navigators, gunners, engineers and others and there are five squadron badges for AF Special Operations, 352D Special Operations Group, 7th Special Operations Squadron, 21 Special Operations Squadron 'Dust Devils' and 67 SOS 'Night Owls'. Aircraft types accompanying the signatures are MH-53J and 53S, MC130 'Talon II' , AC-130U, MC-130H and MC-130N but there could be more types when I get to examine the print again in better light, the print is signed 'Geoff Pleasance 1994', my theory is that someone did the drawing then pulled off a load of copies to be signed by the crews but this is only my thoughts because although it is a print the signatures appear to be original, hope someone can get me started on identifying when and where these squadrons were together and when,

best regards, Terry

Reply to
Terence Lynock (MSW)
352nd SOG is based at RAF Mildenhall in the UK, having moved there from RAF Alconbury when that base closed in around 1994 - it may commemorate the move...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes

The message from "Chris Hughes" contains these words:

Thanks Chris, it is a very nice momento to find especially at the price (£3 or about $5) and framed too, the artwork is excellent and at first I thought it was something to do with the RAF but on closer inspection I realised it was USAF, if it had been RAF I would probably have given it to Cosford Aerospace Museum which is just 10 miles away from me but now I am not sure what I will do with it as I am not really an aircraft buff. One of the Hercs has a large radome on the nose and another 'bubble' atop the forward fuselage, the second has a squarish radome on the nose and various appendages sticking out, the third has a 'normal' looking nose end with extra bits grafted onto the sides of the forward fuselage as I recall, just which model is which I have no idea but they are all very nice pencil drawings,

regards, Terry

Reply to
Terence Lynock (MSW)

On a similar vein, one of my wife's friends was a total yard-sale junkie. On one of her Saturday morning yard sale forays about five years ago, she called me at home from her cellphone, knowing that I collect militaria and prints. She said some guy had an old picture of "Gen MacArthur" and asked if I wanted it for $5. I said "sure" but when she brought it over, it was not MacArthur. It was actually an original 11"x14" charcoal sketch of Chesty Puller at the Chosin Reservoir, copy #4, signed by both the artist and Gen Puller. It was also in a really nice old heavy oak frame that, itself was about 50 years old. I had it conservation re-matted and put back in the same frame and it's still have it hanging in my basement family room.

Reply to
Bill Woodier