Bell X-1A & B

Seems to me that these two types were built off the original X-1 frame. Any good references to these two out on the 'net?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
William Banaszak

Bill - Do you have access to the book "The X-Planes: X-1 to X-45" by Jay Miller? Has some great stuff on all the "X" planes.

According to this book, the A and B models "utilized the basic wing, horizontal tail and powerplant of the first generation aircraft, but had an almost totally new fuselage. The latter offered improved fineness ration, increased propellant capacity, a revised and much improved cockpit and associated canopy, ..."

John

Reply to
John

'Fraid not.

I suspected as much. I'm trying to find out if it's feasible to convert an X-1 into one of the others.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I was startong to get info together for the same thing.

The Dryden site has a great basic rundown and GREAT pictures. Here is the site.

I am senidng you a little comparrison I therew together too, and we could pull together resources if you want.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

I found the Dryden site last night with a little googling. I even bumped into a forum where the same search has been going on since March. Drawings were mentioned but I couldn't find any on the site. BUT, I did remember having some xeroxes of the first "Replica" which had a series on the X-planes. A little digging in the archives (and a sore toe [darned computer parts laying around!]) found the article. There are some general arrangement drawings in the article but they're not a consistent scale. The X-1A drawing is pretty darn close to

1/72nd.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

If you hadn't found it yet, and sorry for pointing wrong on the first post.

I was thinking of using the Eduard 1/48 and Scratching a nose onto it with appropriate wing changs as necessary. Any links to the forum you mentioned?

Rich

Reply to
Rich