Query

Does anybody make 1/700 Fw 190s? I think they'd be better carrier planes than the Bf 109s.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Mad Modeller wrote the following:

For what ship? The Graf Zeppelin was never completed.

Reply to
willshak

they'd be better carrier

But there is a kit available... If you're building a "What if?", you might as well build it as you envisage it might have been. For myself, I've always wondered what a carrier built on an incomplete "Hood" class battlecruiser hull yould have looked like, the way the US utilised "Lexington" and "Saratoga", and the Japanese the "Akagi"...

Cheers,

Reply to
Moramarth

Changing the subject a little, but in the same vain, does anyone know if there are any 1/700 Harriers available? I'm doing an updated LHA and all the internet pictures I can find lately show the LHAs and LHDs sporting Harriers as well as Marine helicopters.

T2

Reply to
Tom

I know the Dragon 1/700 Saipan/Tarawa kit had Harrier IIs included. There is a small sink hole between the wings.

Reply to
Gary Kato

On 7/21/2011 9:36 AM, willshak wrote:> Mad Modeller wrote the following:

they'd be better carrier

Well in 'my' timeline it was and 109s were somewhat picky about their landings. IIRC, Seafires weren't the greatest at landing on ships either. Then too, the ship has to carry replacement coolant for liquid-cooled aircraft. That has been cited as one reason the USN preferred air-cooled radials.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Mad Modeller wrote the following:

That last statement answered a question I had for decades. Why did all the US Navy planes have radial engines. Thanks.

Reply to
willshak

=A0Does anybody make 1/700 Fw 190s? I think

Bill - Twas my understanding that Messerschmitt came up with a Bf.109T that was designed for the Graf Zeppelin. The main differences were inward folding main gear (instead of the 109's outward folding gear) and a slightly longer wingspan. If you can find some 109s to your scale it shouldn't be too hard to kitbash them into the carrier-based planes.

Regards, John Braungart

Reply to
The Old Man

Does anybody make 1/700 Fw 190s? I think

and a tailhook?

Reply to
willshak

g:> =A0Does anybody make 1/700 Fw 190s? I think

Okay, nitpick me. Just don't tell SWMBO - that's HER job!

8^P

Regards, John Braungart

Reply to
The Old Man

Thanks, Gary. I'm working with a DML version of the LHA 1 I bought years ago(when you retire, you get around to these projects). I've made decals changing it to the LHA-2 and added the more recent radars, domes and self defense systems, but I'm not into buying another kit just for the Harriers. Know of any after-market Harriers?

T2

Reply to
Tom

I have one! Tsukuda Hobby made (makes?) something called "1/700 combat plane series Luft Waffe Fighter"

10 each of Me163 Me262 Bf109 and Fw190. Got it at a swap meet some years ago. looks to be pretty old. The only thing that looks like an item number is CP-100.

Hope that helps,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Vernon

I had a Bf109T in 1/72 (and got it built, too) that had the longer wingspan and tailhook but the LG was the same as a standard 109. I do not know if the model was correct or not. Data in my references is slight at best, pictures or drawings nonexistent.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

I'm pretty sure I saw someone offering modern RN aircraft as a separate accessory. I'll have to check my last Squadron flyer and see if they're in there.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

It's somewhere to start looking. Thanks!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Bill, when I first answered yur note, I was thinking of the Planet Models resin kits, specifically the Me.209H, a high altitude version of the 109. IF I remember correctly (who the hell knows anymore) the aircraft history on the instructions indicated that it was developed from the 109T, but with naval gear removed and an improved engine installed for high altitude work. That was why I answered the way I did. Check out

for more pictures and backgrounds, they have a lot of detail there.

Regards, John Braungart

Reply to
The Old Man

The Me 109T had the same landing gear arrangement as all other Me 109's.

To provide an Me 109 with outboard-hinged gear would require a complete redesign of the wing and the manufacturing process: the Me 109 fuselage was built with the landing gear attached (which is why it is outward-folding) and the wings attached afterwards. The gear is hinged on the lower engine mounts.

The Me 109T was based on the E-series airframe, with arrestor hook and catapult points added.

Alan Dicey

Okay, I'll go along with that. But the aircraft was never actually built, so I'm thinking that after a few accidents based on the 109s narrow track, it wouldn't be too long before Messerschmitt came up with a 109H approach. We're talking "what if" here....

Regards, John Braungart

Reply to
The Old Man

Gary Kato

Thanks Gary and Bill. Just ordered Harriers and Cobras from "across the pond"

T2

Reply to
Tom