Bf109 question (something on topic!!)

Ón some pictures of 109s the exhaust stubs are very low on the cowling while others are up high. I remember about twenty years ago there wa someone rebuilding them, but had newer type engines, and the exhausts wer up high, thus being a telltale that it was not original. But...now I se what appear to be original pictures and the exhausts are the same way--u higher on the cowling. I was always under the understanding that th exhausts were down low because the DB engine was inverted (seems an od way, but it worked). I can't find any references that show the whol string of variants side-by-side to compare. 'Splain dis one to me Luc cuz I don' unnastan'

-

Message posted using

information at

Disco58

Yea, yea, dat be da ones. As I was writing the question something in th back of my mind (short trip from the front!) said there was Spanis something or another in there somewhere. There was one at Oshkosh in '05 and I remarked to wifey that I didn't think it was genuine because of th exhausts (and I knew for sure it wasn't an experimental or kit). Thank Rufus

-

Message posted using

information at

Disco58

You may be seeing a few of these -

...or something like these, which are actually more post-war Spanish ones, painted up -

Rufus

All Bf 109s used an inverted "vee" type engine, so the cylinders (and exhausts) would be towards the bottom of the cowling. The aircraft you've seen with the exhausts near the top were Hispano Ha.1112s. These aircraft were built after the war using British Merlin engines (think, Spitfire, Hurricane, Mosquito, Lancaster) vice the German Daimler-Benz engines used in the Bf 109. IIRC the Ha.1112 airframe was based on the Bf 109G.

Reply to
Don McIntyre

All mass production Messerschmitt 109s did but the prototype was powered by an R-R Kestrel V8.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I thought about that this morning, Bill, just as I was getting on here and was going to amend my reply, but you beat me to it.

Reply to
Don McIntyre

using

> > > More information at

It's just one of those historical quirks that stick in the brain. The

109 started out with a British motor and the last production pieces were run off a Spanish assembly line with more British motors. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

The Spanish Merlin-engined ones had the high exhausts. The first prototype, the RR Kestrel-powered BF-109v1, had fairly high-mounted exhausts also:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote

That's because the Kestrel/Merlin are V-type engines, with the consequent high exhaust stacks, whereas the Daimler-Benz 200s and 600s etc that were installed in the German production versions are _inverted_ V-type engines, which puts the exhausts at the bottom of the cowling.

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG