Time to write to Monogram

and ask for more clear fuselage sides like what is in the visiable B-17. It is a shame to hide the insides of the B-29 and B-24 among
others. Here is the letter I sent, if enough emails are sent, it might happen. I would love to see a visible B-29,
snipped-for-privacy@revell.com Sirs,
I have been building your kits for over 30 years, and with the long awaited, and long overdue re-release of the visible B-17, has any thought been given to releasing the larger planes with a optional clear fuselage side ? It is a shame to hide the details inside of the B-29 and B-24 among others. I for one would gladly pay extra for a clear fuselage side.

especially since it would not involve any new tooling, just add clear plastic...
and they would not have to repackage the entire kit, just sell the clear parts separately...
Craig
Ask them about reissuing the Air Power kit too
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 07:46:08 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

Rick Lundin wrote:

That was a great display model. I wonder if they still have the molds?:
http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/c7/63/cf87_1.JPG
What would be really sharp is to go that kit in all chrome.
Pat

how big were those planes? 3-4 inches each?
Craig
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The scale was 1/240th, so the B-52 had a span of 9.25 inches. The F-104 would be 2.75 inches long. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember these models having recessed panel lines.
Pat
Pat
Pat Flannery wrote:

Sorta. The control surfaces were delineated as were the canopy frames and a few other odd lines. Monogram made use of the moulds and put out some smaller collections too. I had the Medium Bomber Group (B-66, B-57 & B-58) as well as the Refueling Group (B-47 & KC-135). There was also a Century Series Group.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Mad-Modeller wrote:

It was interesting to see recessed detail lines on that early of vintage of models. Pity they didn't stick with that rather than going over to raised detail lines for so long. I wonder if the raised lines were related to the raised markings used on many early models, as they would be easier to paint than recessed ones?
Pat
Pat Flannery wrote:

I know I used them for exactly that purpose on my Aurora WWI planes. They ended up looking better than if I used the decals. Most of those were awful.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Mad-Modeller wrote:

Were their two releases of that Air Power kit? I seem to remember mine having a B-36 in it.
Pat
Face it- unfortunately, the days of RM are nearing an end. They have failed to remain competitive in a market where other companies have come out with newer kits and better tooling.
Look at how the quality of DML armor continues to improve, and the range expand. Trumpeter has also been aggressive with an increased range, and their quality continues to improve.
On the other hand, what have RM, Airfix, Heller, or Italeri come out with recently? Even Tamiya is in a decline- their kits are superbly engineered, but they aren't bringing anything new out.
Without doing any market research, I'd guess that 80% of a new kit's sales occur within the first year of introduction, when we modelers buy them and a bunch of resin and brass and store it all with plans to build in the future. Even if the kit isn't perfect, we like the subject matter, scale, and appeal, and this is why we buy, even if it never gets built.
This is why companies like Trumpeter and DML have become dominant- they bring out a lot of new stuff, and even though most of it isn't perfect or as well engineered as a Tamiya kit (talking about Trumpeter), people are buying them at a premium price.
RM, Tamiya, and the others will continue to lose their market share unless they change their strategy for theintroduction of new kits.
Viperdoc wrote:

They do have one great advantage still - their models are available in WalMart and other discount stores where other manufacturers like DML and Tamiya are generally not sold.

Again though, you are talking about high-end models purchased from hobby shops or by mail, think how many of those Monogram "Wright Fliers" have been sold in discount stores as well as hobby shops over the several decades from the kit's introduction. And now everyone's bouncing up and down about their visible B-17 coming back. Nostalgia plays a part in this game too.
Pat
I agree completely that nostalgia does play a role, but how much of the market share does it really represent?
I have an original visible B-17, phantom mustang, etc still sitting downstairs- do I need to buy another one- probably not. The re-releases probably do not really bring a huge surge of purchases from new modelers, unlike the release of all of the armor and planes from Trumpeter, even though they're wildly expensive.
Many of their kits go for over $100, and actual expenses for production are only probably a few dollars at most. So, the cost of the initial investment in research and tooling is likely recovered pretty quickly.
Yet RM, Airfix, and even Tamiya have not seen this as the marketing strategy of the future, and they will continue to lose market share until they are no longer viable.
Viperdoc wrote:

What would be interesting to figure out is what percentage of kits as far as total numbers of sales go are sold by: 1.) Hobby shops. 2.) Mail order. 3.) Discount, toy, and variety stores. As far as total number of kit sales go, "3" may make up a substantial portion of total sales, particularly of the less exotic kits that parents are buying for their kids.

It will be interesting to track the progress of Airfix now that it has risen from the dead. I note this came about at the same time Lindberg and Hawk* also returned. Besides the nostalgia aspect, they have the advantages of having just to supply plastic to large numbers of existing molds to generate profits to build up some capital to design new model kits...such as the two new Japanese subs from Lindberg.
*Although Hawk's homepage seems to have vanished off the web.
Pat
Viperdoc wrote:

And yet, R-M have several hot car kits out at the moment. These are all new tooling, too.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Pat Flannery wrote:

I do believe there were two releases but I can't confirm or deny the B-36. 1/240th would be a very manageable size for a B-36. Even Revell's ancient kit was big at 1/184th. Anyone ever build Hobbycraft's 1/144th kit?
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

was that the one with the globe base?
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

The Revell? Yep. Later issues had a substitute without the ball joint.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

i built a busload of those and lost them in the 1962 bedroom war. they were nuked out by some of them commies rats.
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

Probably flying Yak-25s: http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/korean/yak25preview.htm
Pat