B-17 & B-24 & B-25 to Fly into Orange Co. N. Y. this weekend

I saw it in the local paper that the Collings Foundation will have their B-17 and B-24 back at Montgomery Airport in Orange County in New York for the weekend and they will have a B-25 with them this time around as well. I've see the 17 and the 24 before, they're two very impressive planes to look at and walk thru.

The article said they will be flying in on Friday and then Flying out on Monday. They also do offer rides , for more than I have in my budget i'm afraid. But it has to be really really KewL to Fly in the B-17. I will try my best to be there with atleast one of my sons and my cameras so that we can take lots more reference photos both interior and exterior as well. They re-paint the B-24 every so often and i'm wanting to see if it has got new Nose Art this time around. Hope nobody minded that I posted this up, you seldom get a chance to see planes like this any more and in flying condition as well.

Well I hope to see some of you there

... cyberborg ..........

,,

Reply to
cyberborg 4000

I don't mind at all. They were here in Lancaster County around the end of August. We had pretty crummy weather that weekend but we did get to see the B-17 overhead several times on Sunday. The B-25 went over once. Wow, what a racket! The engines in the Mitchell sounded like they were chewing concrete. ;) I heard that the B-24 was up but it didn't fly over here. Darn.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

The Collings Foundation B-17 is "Nine-O-Nine", as always. The B-24 which was "All American" for many years, then "Dragon & His Tail" (properly painted on the right side only) for several years, both natural metal color schemes, is now "Witchcraft", OD over Grey.

You mght want to contact the local rep for Collings and ask if they would like a knowledgeable volunteer. Bone up on the three aircrafft, hang around for as long as you can answering questions from the public and just be helpful. It's a lot of fun and you get to know the aircraft. If you're really lucky there may be a space open on one of the planes.

I've done docent work (and once ramp boss) for Collings for years when they are n the SF Bay Area, it's a blast! You meet a lot of vets (one, sittng in the radiio compartment, weeping, told me "I didn't think I would remember all the faces".), great questions from the kids ("How many rivets? Answer: "Before or after a flight?") and those astounding occasional rides, including the B-17 on a Saturday and the B-24 on a Sunday when they still allowed right seat time (no more).

Enjoy!

Tom

cyberborg 4000 wrote:

Reply to
maiesm72

Yes , I live only about 20 or 25 minutes away from Orange Co. Airport myself. I' am over near Stewart Airport over near the rt. 207 entrance and plan to take a couple of rolls for each plane. I tend to shoot a lot of film once I get started my personal best is (11) rolls in one day at the National Air & Space museum. :)

When they had the B-24 there painted with ''Dragon and his Tail'' it was a real treat i've got the Decal set for ''Dragon and his Tail''' aircraft in 1/48 scale.

Does anyone plan to try to go see them this weekend

... Carl ..........

,,

Reply to
cyberborg 4000

Hedy Lamarr in "White Cargo":

Steve Vernon

(google is your friend!)

Reply to
Steve Vernon

IIRC, the B-25 is painted as "Tondelayo" which the local paper stated as referring to a movie from the early '40s. The name was of a female character, played by either Betty Davis or Greta Garbo. (Wanna bet I got both guesses wrong?)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Heddy Lamarr.

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

I plan to go, but you know the saying "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry"

Reply to
Willshak

FWIW...

Pics from their visit to Tucson, AZ back in April...

Jay Beckman Chandler, AZ

Reply to
Jay B

Not Hedley Lamarr ? :-)

Reply to
Willshak

Please, now you'll give me visions of eating beans around the campfire!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller