Academy 1/72 B-24's How Old Are They ?

Saw a few versions at my local shop. Some come with posters of the great box art.

Anyone know how old the kits are? Wondering if the great nose art decals that caught my eye will be usable..

thx - Craig

Reply to
crw59

How time flies when you're having fun...the Astrology series came out sometime in the last ten years. There were four of them boxed as I recall. I've got Leo and Gemini. I think there were Aquarius and Libra as well. Surprised to see them still on shelves.The line of B-24's came out before that. I'm going to say early nineties. I'd have to dig through the catalog files to nail it down and there's an impending crapalanche brewing over there.

I don't think you'd have a problem with the decals. If in doubt, get some MicroScale Decal Film and overcoat. The Academy/Minicraft B-24's are the most accurate available. hth The Keeper

Reply to
The Keeper

Can't get to the boxes of Academy kits at the moment, so I dug through the files.

I have a kit review of the Academy B-24D dated April, 1991. That sounds right. IIRC the B-24J in "Dragon and His Tail" markings came out about the same time.Having flown and flown in the Collings B-24 both before and during her time with this wonderful color scheme, this made to to the top of my favorites list.

Now to find decals in 1/72 for "Nine-O-Nine". Until then I need to find the Corgi diecast with those markings. Already have their B-24 in "Dragon..." markings.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72