Impossible to Quit This Dang Blasted Hobby!!!

Hello, my name is Craig and I'm a modelholic.

so I seriously need to cull the herd of kits, having not built or started anything in 2 years....

sold one kit thru RMS, but no success with the others.

Then the Squadron flyer came...and I ordered something...

Then today I went to a collectors show in San Mateo. We were headed out the door with empty bags when my eye caught a Monogram label. On the floor under a table were model kits.... All marked $2 each. Some were still sealed too. An old 1/32 Minicraft/Hasa 109,

1/72 110, opened 1/48 P-61 and a 1/32 Stuka with the Dragon decal. etc And dang if they weren't all complete too!

So instead of cutting down the stash, I come home with 10 addl kits for $20. Nothing terribly exciting in the way of subjects, except for the dragon decal Stuka, but what the heck.

I'm screwed, I'll be buying till I die, I just know it. Now to find a way to mix model funds with my new found hobby of buying guitars I'll never play.....

Now to wander over to Great Models to see what is going on over there.

Resistance is futile.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

You have been assimilated. Heh.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

He has a lot of company! :-)

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Hello Craig!

nodnodnod I know the feeling. Since I came back to aircraft modelling about two years ago, my Active Stash has grown dramatically. It has just recently hit 100 kits. My intention is not to buy any more (except for the odd one or two new releases that I just *have* to have - ie Trumpeter F-105) until the stash gets down to 70... I wonder how I will fare.

I have enough F-4 kits (Hasegawa and Fujimi) to last me five years at my current rate. I have a liberal sprinkling of F-16s, Hunters, F-86s, F-104s, A-7s and 1/48 Spitfires (and the decal sheets for them all), which will ensure that I don't get jaded with the F-4s. And then there are odd singletons (Tamiya FW-190D, Trumpeter Gannet, Academy F-8E(FN)... couple of Drakens, couple of F-14s...) if I ever want a complete change.

On the building side, I think I'm doing a little better than you. In two years I have built 30 aircraft models. Not counted are the 16 Stanier coaches for my model railway and the couple of dozen mineral wagons...

Fewtle?

But why quit? Why not just call yourself a kit collector? :-D

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

quite substantial. It would be nice to pay it off within this century.

maybe I'll get a play money jar that I can stuff when possible with cash so I won't feel quite so guilty about spending $$$ on toys instead of paying down the debt.

guilt is a wonderful thing.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

just because you intend to build every kit doesn't mean you ain't a collector. but i'm not as bad as you guys. i can still fit my stsh into one 10'x4' closet. and i have dozens started so it's not like i just accumulate them. hey, get out of that pile! those aren't mine, i'm holding them for a friend.

I had the same feeling several years ago. No time to build and my stash of approx 1000 kits was becoming a storage issue. I thinned out the collection down to about 100 kits thinking I wasn't ever going to be building all these kits. I thought if and when I did get back to building I would want the latest and greatest, well that was then. Now I have returned to the hobby and kick myself frequently for thinning the stash. You never know what life has in store for you, since they are paid for hang on to them, do some selling and trading to keep your inventory levels steady and build something! OOB, very basic to keep your skills honed. Just my humble opinion. Take some of your stash and donate it to a local club having a contest to use in their raffle, it can be very rewarding.

Hawkeye

Reply to
Hawkeye

LOL

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I used to be, too. I got the Squadron flyer, and just *had to have* the latest and greatest FW190.

Or obscure German armor subject.

Or new-fangled finishing system.

Ad nauseum.

But then I moved all the modelling supplies and the modest stash five or six times, and had to have a place to store them. I said "enough", and finally got rid of all the kits. And the magazines. And the books. (Except for the coffee table FW190 book illustrated by Watanabe.) Now all that's left is the airbrush. Badger 250 - any bites?

E.P.

P.S. a close friend of mine is also going to take the plunge, and sell off all his OOP Mongram kits. I'm going to help him eBay his stash.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

You could do what I do if you belong to a club--I box up a bunch every now and then and take them to a meeting. I lay them all out on a table and tell the guys to grab what they want, all freebies. The reality is if that I'm realistically never going to build any given kit, then I won't missi if it's gone. The freebie part is just a bennie for the club guys. Suggestion two is to donate them to the stash bound for our guys in Iraq; I guarantee they'll be appreciated. The other options are a local Boy Scout troop or teen detention center. It will give them something constructive to spend their time on. There's always eBay I suppose. What do you have you want to get rid of?

Reply to
Disco58

Just when I thought that the to do stack was slowly reducing (as the collection quickly grows past 2000) another kit comes along that I just have to do real soon.

This time it's Hasegawa's P-40N with decals for the 15,000th Curtiss Fighter. Wanted to do that one ever since I first saw it on the cover of a Harleyford book. Bill is thinning out his personal collection and selling them in his shop at Berkeley Ace Hardware. Every month or so there are more old kits added to the selection.

Now, do I start it or finish a couple of the existing to do stack?

Tom

Disco58 wrote:

Reply to
maiesm72

Me too. Don't ask how many I've finished lately... ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

ROFLMAO! ;-p

How's that 1/48 F-104 coming along? ;)

Reply to
Al Superczynski

lately mean this decade? if so, i'm doin ok.

No, I mean within the past year... ;)

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Look at it this way. How many other areas are there where one can reasonably have all the different 'ones' one wants and desires? ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

quite substantial. It would be nice to pay it off within this century.

Mom always thought so....;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I've always been real good at starting things. Lately I seem to be getting performance anxiety when it comes to models. :[

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

this year? fiscal year? calendar year? you mean the past 12 months? could you define year for me? use it in an escape clause. year, year......uh.

Who the hell do you think I am? Bill Clinton?

Reply to
Al Superczynski