Impossible to Quit This Dang Blasted Hobby!!!

Hello, my name is Craig and I'm a modelholic.
so I seriously need to cull the herd of kits, having not built or started anything in 2 years....
sold one kit thru RMS, but no success with the others.
Then the Squadron flyer came...and I ordered something...
Then today I went to a collectors show in San Mateo. We were headed out the door with empty bags when my eye caught a Monogram label. On the floor under a table were model kits.... All marked $2 each. Some were still sealed too. An old 1/32 Minicraft/Hasa 109, 1/72 110, opened 1/48 P-61 and a 1/32 Stuka with the Dragon decal. etc And dang if they weren't all complete too!
So instead of cutting down the stash, I come home with 10 addl kits for $20. Nothing terribly exciting in the way of subjects, except for the dragon decal Stuka, but what the heck.
I'm screwed, I'll be buying till I die, I just know it. Now to find a way to mix model funds with my new found hobby of buying guitars I'll never play.....
Now to wander over to Great Models to see what is going on over there.
Resistance is futile.
Craig
On 21 Oct 2006 17:56:22 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote:

You have been assimilated. Heh.

My "From" address is munged - use 'modeleral (at) swbell (dot) net' to respond
Al Superczynski wrote:

He has a lot of company! :-)
            Bill Shuey

God to know that I am not alone in this!
Cheers,
Dennis

Hello Craig!

nodnodnod I know the feeling. Since I came back to aircraft modelling about two years ago, my Active Stash has grown dramatically. It has just recently hit 100 kits. My intention is not to buy any more (except for the odd one or two new releases that I just *have* to have - ie Trumpeter F-105) until the stash gets down to 70... I wonder how I will fare.
I have enough F-4 kits (Hasegawa and Fujimi) to last me five years at my current rate. I have a liberal sprinkling of F-16s, Hunters, F-86s, F-104s, A-7s and 1/48 Spitfires (and the decal sheets for them all), which will ensure that I don't get jaded with the F-4s. And then there are odd singletons (Tamiya FW-190D, Trumpeter Gannet, Academy F-8E(FN)... couple of Drakens, couple of F-14s...) if I ever want a complete change.
On the building side, I think I'm doing a little better than you. In two years I have built 30 aircraft models. Not counted are the 16 Stanier coaches for my model railway and the couple of dozen mineral wagons...

Fewtle?
But why quit? Why not just call yourself a kit collector? <Enzo listens for the howls of derision> :-D
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

maybe I'll get a play money jar that I can stuff when possible with cash so I won't feel quite so guilty about spending $$$ on toys instead of paying down the debt.
guilt is a wonderful thing.
Craig

Mom always thought so....;)
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

just because you intend to build every kit doesn't mean you ain't a collector. but i'm not as bad as you guys. i can still fit my stsh into one 10'x4' closet. and i have dozens started so it's not like i just accumulate them. hey, get out of that pile! those aren't mine, i'm holding them for a friend.
e wrote:

LOL
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 14:24:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) wrote:

Me too. Don't ask how many I've finished lately... ;-p

My "From" address is munged - use 'modeleral (at) swbell (dot) net' to respond

lately mean this decade? if so, i'm doin ok.
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 02:24:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) wrote:

No, I mean within the past year... ;)

My "From" address is munged - use 'modeleral (at) swbell (dot) net' to respond
Al Superczynski wrote:

I've always been real good at starting things. Lately I seem to be getting performance anxiety when it comes to models. :[
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

this year? fiscal year? calendar year? you mean the past 12 months? could you define year for me? use it in an escape clause. year, year......uh.
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:28:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) wrote:

Who the hell do you think I am? Bill Clinton?

My "From" address is munged - use 'modeleral (at) swbell (dot) net' to respond

you don't like cigars? i'm sure your taste in models is better. that lewinski kit was a real oinker.

I did not build models with that woman......
Craig

e wrote:

She could stop by here. I didn't think she was that bad looking. A little dumb, yes. She should have known better than to mess around with an old married guy. Now, I'm not married....................;)
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

GACK!
e wrote:

    Make that double GACK!