Italeri 1/72 P-47N at Hannants

Hi Folks- For all you Jug heads: Here is a link to the box art of the new Italeri N. Nice markings. I hope Italeri did a nice job on this one. Apparently it was released about 1 1/2 weeks ago.

Ron

Reply to
OSTIAANTIC

And Tamiya has announced their P-47D-20 Thunderbolt razorback is coming in 1/72 as well.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Here is the link to the Hannants P-47N box art:

Ron

Reply to
OSTIAANTIC

is there a really good big one?

impressive, but i suspect way out of my budget.

The price is US$95; see:

Charles Metz

Reply to
Charles Metz

yes, quite out of range. if i spent that, i would rather bag a bear.

I had a look at in the box at a hobby store here (Stockholm) yesterday. I did not buy it, I don't think it is worth the asking price.

It is not one of Italeri's better kits. The detailing seems somewhat soft, the panel lines are heavy (and a few didn't seem quite straight). The oil cooler shutters are badly moulded, they are open - see thru fuselage, and fuzzy round the edges. So are the rear shutters (intercooler?).

There is a lot of stores in the kit, I can't comment on them.

The decals are so so, strange considering how good Italeri decals have been recently. The nose art seems simplified and the blue colour in the USAAF insignia wrong.

All in all - lower moulding quality and twice the price compared to the Revell Thunderbolts.

Anders "OSTIAANTIC" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m21.aol.com...

Reply to
Anders

I haven't seen the Heller so I can't comment on the Italeri compared to it. If you have seen the Italeri F-4U Corsairs, then the quality is about the same, the Corsairs being mariginally better in my opinion.

Anders "Keeper" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m07.aol.com...

Reply to
Anders

I have the kits and haven't actually put it into practice yet, but my original plan was to mate the Heller 'N' wing to the Revell kit. A couple of vertical cuts to allow for the different wing mounting, a wing rescribe and some minor detail restore seems to be all that's needed. Slightly off topic, it's slightly dispiriting to see that the later Italeri kit's designers didn't study the Revell and Academy kits with a micrometer gauge before planning their own version. The result is a disappointing addition instead of a welcome one. Maybe RoG will work up the mould at some point for an 'N'. Then an XP-47H, then an XP-72, then a .'J' ..and so on :)

Chek Change' boos' to 'bos' in address to email directly

Reply to
Chek

If the decals are any good, I'm building it SOB. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

The Heller kit is a complete none starter in my opinion. The wing is pretty decent in top view, but the shape of the airfoil is better suited to a barn door than an airplane. If the Heller kit was any good at all, none of us would be seeking another N kit.

Any reference to the Revell kit is again misdirected due to the terrible mistakes in the fuselage. Cockpit is too far forward, the wing is about

1/8th inch to far aft, belly is far too deep. etc, etc. A much better plan would be to maybe try mating the still unseen Italeri kit wings to the Academy or almost identical Hasegawa fuselage.The wheel well inboard end is in the fuselage on the D and totally in the wing on the N, so some serious rework would be in order.

The N was not a big player during the second big hate, but are interesting and colorful. I think the Italeri may just be our last hope for a kit.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer

Careful, Norm. The last time we agreed on a kit's problems it started a minor flame war...... ;-p

Or build the High Planes kit:

. ;)

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Airjim just informed me that my prayers have been answered:

That's too bad; I had a minor vision of putting the N wing on the razorback fuselage for the "what the hell is that" category.

Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

I have that kit (and the P 51, and Me 110G) and I can tell you that one will have to whip out that modeling skill stuff to finish one of these. But the panel engraving is some of the best I've seen in that tiny little scale. I mean real men build in 1/48th

Azzz1588

I'm still stumbling over the High Planes Mustang X--great shape fidelity, but the fit is a real hair-puller. It's my reigning bench queen at 18 months plus, and I doubt I'll have finished it by this time next year. Talk about giving me incentive to move on to their Beaufighter II and Bf 110G!

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert