B-17 Damaged in Landing Accident

Don't know if you have seen the news in the past hour or so....but there is helicopter footage of the Collins (spelling?) Foundation B-17 flat on it's belly in the middle of the runway at Van Nuy Airport (in the LA area).

Apparently this was as a result of the undercart collapsing while landing. All four props look bent and one can assume that all four engines are damaged as well from the shock...not to mention the damage to the underside....The damage looks like it would be repairable, but I hesitate to guess how much it will cost or how long it will take....but I'm pretty sure you can forget about the aircraft being at Chino's airshow on the 15th and 16th.

The looks of it was that it was not going too fast at the time of the colapse as there is not much of a skid mark.

This is the same aircraft that was flying around out of Orange County for a week or so (along with their B-24)... it was at Long Beach last weekend (saw it flying over the Queen Mary while at the SMA's Ship Modeler's Exposition) and it apparently moved to Van Nuys this week...as you know, they tour the country raising funds by selling rides.

Nat

Reply to
Richa5011

On hyperscale the word is it was the Aluminum Overcast

Reply to
N329DF

Another good time to not be in the ball turret!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Which is exactly why entry to the ball turret (and the nose position) are forbidden.

On the Collings B-24 the nose turret may be occupied, but takeoff and landing positions are limited to belted in sites midship.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I checked my network contacts in So Cal. It was the EAA's Alluminum Overcast. She had completed her rollout and was taxying to her hardstand at about 30 mph when both mains collapsed.

No injuries, damage yet to be assessed. She has already been removed to a hanger (or parking space, my sourde wasn't to clear on that).

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Speaking of the Collins B-17 flying out of Long Beach. I was on my way to work early Monday, creeping up the 405 freeway when this aircraft took off from the Long Beach Airport. Flew right over us poor turkeys stuck on the freeway. What a great sight!

Bill

Reply to
William B. Smallshaw