Nuclear reactors

So another country is getting ready to extract plutonium from the fuel rods for nuclear reactors and may use this for making bombs. Are there
any reactor types that don't use plutonium? ERS

they produce plutonium as a waste by-product.
Eric R Snow wrote:

Reactors don't generally use plutonium, What they do is convert uranium into plutonium (and a host of other nasty things) in the process of producing heat and neutrons.

except for nuclear reactors on submarines.
Highly enriched Uranium 235

Mark wrote:

fuel
there
The reactors on nuclear submarines use highly enriched Uranium fuel in order to minimize the reactor size. That also minimizes how much Pu is produced, but does not entirely eliminate it.
It does not eliminate other radioactive waste materials either, though the particular mix one gets is different from reactors that use less-enriched fuel.
--

FF

On 13 May 2005 20:42:22 GMT, Ignoramus633

Well then, why aren't all peaceful use reactors made like the submarine ones? Wouldn't it be cheaper and safer in the long run to offer to replace all of Iran's reactors with ones that don't produce plutonium? Or maybe GB just wants to kill another bunch of innocent American soldiers and innocent Iranian children. ERS
Eric R Snow wrote:

Yeah, that's it. It's George Bush's fault for not changing out the reactors....
Ok, let's start from the top. Iraq doesn't need reactors. The French and Russians and probably a couple other countries sold them a kit so they could *cough* generate power. Now if you think that they need reactors to generate power, we ought to stop the discussion right now. But they have the reactors, at least the ones Israel didn't destroy and they are happily breeding Pu with them. Same with N. Korea.
As to a reactor that doesn't produce Pu, I'm no expert, but I think they all do. The thread got a little confused and I think that the answer to the submarine reactor question was that they use enriched uranium, not that they don't produce Pu.

Greetings Jim, If you read my first message again you'll see I was talking about Iran, not Iraq, that is, or seems to be, on the way to extract Pu for weapons use. At least, that's what the current administration is saying. And Iraq having any knid of nuclear plant is not GWB's fault. But all the dead American and other soldiers, along with all the dead innocent children, is GWB's fault. More and more we see that the reasons for the war were trumped up. Meanwhile, the people responsible for the largest attack against the USA on our soil still remain free. And George Bush remains friends with the Saudi family that is funding Madrasas that teach religious fervor and hate against Americans. ERS

Funny how that works, eh? They blow up our country, and we go over there and pat their backs. Those pictures were amazing.
Jim
please reply to:
Eric R Snow says...

Actually Jim we removed one of THEIR enemies and if there is anything funny about it I missed out.
--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.
Jim Stewart wrote:

fuel
there
produce
1) Iraq no longer has any operating reactors. Israel bombed one. We bombed it again and one other in 1991.
2) During the periods from 1991 through 1993 the IAEA working with UNSCOM dismantled and destroyed the Iraqi nuclear weapons program and mothballed the Iraqui nuclear power program. Iraq successfully hid some equipement (Calutrons) and some kilogram quantitites of enriched Uranium and Plutonium for a couple more years. Iraq was allowed to retain, under IAEA seal, about 500 tons of yellowcake it had purchased from Portugal and Niger in the 1980s and about 2 tons of 1.5% enriched Uranium (power plant fuel-grade) it had bought from Italy. Iraq also has a Uranium mine.
3) Not having any operational reactors, Iraq is not breeding anything with them. The power plant fuel was removed from Iraq by the US in 2004.
4) Iran is building a reactor courtesy of the the Russians, not sure the French provided any assistance, and the US also provided some technology back when the Shah was in power.
5) To my knowledge, Israel has not (yet) bombed anything in Iran.
6) During the 1980's Iraq bombed the Iranian reactor site.
7) Iran does not have an operating nuclear reactor and thus is not producing Plutonium. They ahve been working their way through several steps toward enriching Uranium.
8) There is no evidence that Iran is currently in violation of the Nuclear Nonproliferation treaty. Uranium enrichment is not a violation of the nuclear non-proliferation treaty.
9) Civilian nuclear power industry officials in the US have insisted for decades that it is very difficult to separate weapons grade Plutonium from civlian power plant fuel rods.
10) North Korea does have operating reactors, I'm not clear on where they got the technology, possibly from the Russians, the Soviets, and/or Chinese. Probably not the French and Isreal, to my knowledge has not blown anything up in North Korea.
11) In the mid 1990s North Korea agreed to halt Plutonium production and Uranium enrichment in exchange for fuel oil and food shipments from the US. North Korea then allowed the IAEA to inspect and seal it's facilities and to install closed-circuit cameras so that the IAEA could remotely monitor thier compliance.
12) Shortly after taking office the Bush administration accused North Korea of resuming Uranium enrichment though at the time, the Bush administration did not present any evidence to suppor tthe accusation nor did the IAEA report any violations of their seals or their monitoring program. The Bush administration stopped suppyling fuel oil and food to North Korea.
13) SHortly after the Bush administration reneged on the agreement North Korea announced that it was withdrawing from the nuclear nonproliferation treaty. The IAEA reported that it's monitoring system had been disabled by the North Koreans. Since that time noble gasses have been detected offshore confirming that North Korea has resumed Plutonium production.
14) Atomic bombns are very simple devices using technology that was developed over 60 years ago. The only technologically daughnting task in the process is the production of the required fissile material. North Korea clearly ahs done that. Iran is apparantly now abloe to do so. Iraq had not been able to do so since the early 1990s.

Yes, though those that use highly enriched Uranium fuel produce a minimal concentration.
--

FF

On 14 May 2005 15:05:45 -0700, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net spake:

Cites, please? It makes no sense to knowingly bomb a nuclear pile.
------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there. - http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -
Larry Jaques wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net

I requested a citation from you quite some time ago, did I not? Made any progress on that yet?
Google for 'Osirak', 'Tuweitha, and 'al Qaim'. See also the Duelfer Report. The IAEA reports on Iraq are available at the United Nations web site.

They were bombed befor fuel was loaded. Oh, I should have written "Iraq NEVER had any operating reactors" rather than "Iraq no longer has any operating reactors" the latter is rather misleading. Now Iraq has no reacotrs that are anywhere near operational.
We no longer have that option in North Korea and Iran may be able to load fuel by July of this year so we may be bombing another in a month or so.
--

FF

Interesting spew of hate.
Are you forgetting it was your butt buddy Clinton that gave em the reactors?
Gunner
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stewart Mill
Gunner wrote:

the fuel

there
Uh, it was the Nixon, Ford, and Carter who were President when GE was building a reactor for the Shah. By the time Clinton was elected, the Russians had long ago take over, possibly in exchange for an F-14.
--

FF

On 15 May 2005 11:44:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

You are absolutely correct. Mea Culpa. I was confusing Iran with N. Korea.
Gunner
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stewart Mill
Gunner wrote:

produce
innocent
the
elected,
F-14.
If you can recollect one or more source that led you to believe that I'd like to know what it is.
NO American administration helped North Korea build its nuclear facilities. The 1994 agreement called for the US to replace the North Korean graphite-moderated reactors with light-water reactors far less suitable for plutonium production.
However, North Korea has never accepted the proposed light water design. In 2002 North Korea withdrew from the NNPT and openly declared it was building nuclear weapons.
http://www.kimsoft.com/korea/nk-nukes.htm http://www.fas.org/news/dprk/1995/bg133.html
--

FF

On 15 May 2005 15:49:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Oh yah...that Clinton Legacy thingy bobby
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/1/7/164846.shtml
Gunner
On Mon, 16 May 2005 08:12:00 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner

Interesting. The Uranium Enrichment link on the Kimsoft site was, too. Hey, the French are commies and 80% of their power is created by their 60 nuke power plants. Why isn't Shrub at their throats, too?

That site reads/feels like a mix of FoxNews and the National Enquirer, Gunner. Gung-Ho Bushies + Bible software ads. (BTW, that's the kindest thing I've ever said about Clintoon. P.S: Howzcome you never bought any of my Clinton tees? I'll make you a great deal on some.)

Blink. <thud> (Aw, he's no fun; he fell right over.)