Nuclear reactors

Uh, it was the Nixon, Ford, and Carter who were President when GE was building a reactor for the Shah. By the time Clinton was elected, the Russians had long ago take over, possibly in exchange for an F-14.

Reply to
fredfighter

Huh? How about CEI's Perry Plant, for starters? ISTR about 35 of the US nuclear power plants are BWRs--all of those made by GE.

Reply to
fredfighter

OK, I stand corrected. I do not trust BWR technology. It has the advantage of much lower core pressure, but the disavantage of the possibilty of radioactive steam leaks and the certainty of a radioactive steam system. Give me a PWR any day! I live within the possible plume of two PWRs and I have not lost an hour's sleep yet.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

You are absolutely correct. Mea Culpa. I was confusing Iran with N. Korea.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

BWRs also produce a lot more waste.

Reply to
fredfighter

Except calutrons used silver (from the treasury, since copper was running short for shells!). They would've killed for superconductors and enough liquid helium!

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams

innocent

elected,

If you can recollect one or more source that led you to believe that I'd like to know what it is.

NO American administration helped North Korea build its nuclear facilities. The 1994 agreement called for the US to replace the North Korean graphite-moderated reactors with light-water reactors far less suitable for plutonium production.

However, North Korea has never accepted the proposed light water design. In 2002 North Korea withdrew from the NNPT and openly declared it was building nuclear weapons.

fredfighter

The Government was trying to make one - Not GE for some company somewhere.

Oak Ridge. Yes the spent fuel cold be re-made and we wouldn't have to have the NV site or all the local storage all around the place or ship it overseas ourselves.

Ever been to Oak Ridge ? - Neat place. Rather Historical in many ways. The silver is long back in the mint however.

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

Let the record show that Gunner wrote back on Sun,

15 May 2005 09:29:26 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Heck, I feel that way a lot of the time.

Does that make me a Greenie?

I've been catching up on the Sluggy Freelance: Bun-Bun grows on you. "Am I suppose to care?"

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Oh yah...that Clinton Legacy thingy bobby

Gunner

Gunner

I feel that way ALL of the time.

Nope..unless you are a hypocrite in other matters..then you share traits

Sorta gets ya right there..dont it?

Gunner

Gunner

On Mon, 16 May 2005 08:12:00 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner spake:

Interesting. The Uranium Enrichment link on the Kimsoft site was, too. Hey, the French are commies and 80% of their power is created by their 60 nuke power plants. Why isn't Shrub at their throats, too?

That site reads/feels like a mix of FoxNews and the National Enquirer, Gunner. Gung-Ho Bushies + Bible software ads. (BTW, that's the kindest thing I've ever said about Clintoon. P.S: Howzcome you never bought any of my Clinton tees? I'll make you a great deal on some.)

Blink. (Aw, he's no fun; he fell right over.)

------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there. -

Website Application Programming -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nothing in that article alleges that any American administration helped North Korea build its nuclear facilites.

It appears that you also confused unbuilt light water reactors with existing graphite-moderated reactors.

Reply to
fredfighter

Let the record show that Gunner wrote back on Mon,

16 May 2005 08:18:41 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

But do you figure it is your responsibility to _do_ something about it? More importantly, to do something about those who don't bother you? As I fumble below, other people may be complete idiots when it comes to their ability to make intelligent decisions (which may be projection on my part), but it is their right and privilege to achieve the rewards of their dunderheadness. And it is also met, right and my bounden duty to allow them to fully achieve their chosen result.

Of course, I do have some personal, moral, qualms about the ones I know individually, but that is another issue. Soft heart, hard head.

I've always figured that there are two sorts out there: those who consider others capable of making decisions for themselves, and those who don't. Of course, the real question comes down "If others are incapable of making their own decisions, is it any responsibility of mine?" Given the usual caveat about children and my family obligations, not only is the answer "no" but often "Hell, no!" I'm big on personal charity. Not on the abstract Feed The Hungry, or House the Homeless, but on the personal level, to see that Joe gets a meal, or that Mary Sue has a place to stay. Its my money, if I want to spend it on down and outer, that is my business. If I chose to not help someone continue in their self-destruction, that too is my choice. It may not be pleasant, but it is necessary. (One of the best things which ever happened to me was being told by my parents, I could not move back home after college. So, high ho - off to work I go.)

Yeah. But I'm seeing a chiropractor about it.

I'm also reconsidering the plot line to the Unbegun Novel ... .

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

In so far as I wish to stay alive as long as possible, yes. And Ive pointed out a time or three things to people that they were about to do, that could/would/should cause their deaths or serious maimings, yes.

I tend to wear my white hat a lot. Shrug..I try to at least give some input on bad things I see happening. If they fail to heed my advise or warning, Ill generally call 9-11 after the fact, if I dont have to wash my hair or anything. But as I get older and my capacity for idiots and bullshit gets smaller and smaller..even dialing 9-11 is starting to seem like too much of an effort with some people.

Ideed.

Quite true, but on the other hand, I do consider Humanity part of my family. Some more distant than others. Some Id not lift a hand to help. Shrug.

Indeed. Same here.

Gunner

Hmm, that's funny. Last night I was watching the news on our local Fox station (LIVE!! INVESTIGATIVE!! IN-DEPTH!!) where that jingle means lots of coverage of local sex scandals, as in beating the story to death for a few weeks each time. I got to thinking that Fox news is a cross between a sub-par news program and a supermarket tabloid. That would make your comparison pretty sad indeed. To lower themselves that much, Fox would have to dig a hole - a pretty deep hole. Last night's story was a hard-hitting expose' of dogs that had been "liberated" from meth lab sites. The anchorfem described them as "dogs that may have been infected with meth"! Is that a meth virus, bacteria, or prion?

Plus, their "chief meteorologist" looks like his day job is dancing with the Chippendales (ya know, those stripping chipmunks).

Oh, well, I like their animated shows (KOTH excepted), and "24" used to be a good show.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Let the record show that Gunner wrote back on Tue,

17 May 2005 09:22:57 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I may be my brother's keeper, but I'm not my brother-in-law's keeper.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Indeed... I too try to "white-hat" when it's reasonable, but there does exist a set (boundaries not yet known, since I haven't met everybody on the planet) of individuals whose mouths I wouldn't piss in if I saw that their teeth were on fire.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Ive met those people. While I may feel a slight twinge as I watch them burn to the ground..I still sleep well.

Gunner

Gunner