Visible 1/48 B-17's are Available Now

just in case anyone was wondering, they are out now.... two of them rcvd today are heading to the attic for the duration .

Craig

Reply to
crw59

On Jan 2, 2:51=EF=BF=BDpm, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" wrote= :

I picked one up today from Hobbytown USA in West Phoenix. Two things I noticed was it had Monogram on the box, and it was made in China. Now that the B-17 molds are in China, maybe Trumpeter will upscale them to 1/32 scale

Reply to
n329df

Mine came over the weekend. Has anyone done a review of any kind on this kit? Is it strictly a re-issue or have there been some upgrades?

Reply to
Count DeMoney

i heard that kits are run out of generic plastic plants, owned by pols or military shmucks.

Reply to
someone

how much is it going for?

Reply to
someone

on 1/15/2008 7:38 PM Count DeMoney said the following:

Here's one:

1/48 visible b-17 review for more

Reply to
willshak

MSRP, $31.95 US

Reply to
n329df

This would be the perfect kit for someone to do a huge after-market resin/photoetch superdetail set for.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

and add a clear wing to it too.

How old is the visible B-17 kit? were there ever plans to try it on other planes?

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Laugh ........... When I ordered this kit (I actually ordered 2 of them) in July, knowing it wouldn't be released until early 08, I had a plan. Over the last 6 months, I bought every piece of aftermarket PE, Resin, Canopies, Masks, and decals I could find. We took a short vacation to Tucson and I spent a day at PIMA Air Museum and shot about

200 photos of their B-17 on display. I also bought several of the walk around's and books. I'm very prepared. It's going to be an interesting build (:>
Reply to
Count DeMoney

Monogram got the ball rolling for aircraft with their visible P-51 "Phantom Mustang" kit in 1961.

later did a visible Huey helicopter during the Vietnam war. The inspiration was probably the AFAIK original visible kit, the Strombecker Disney Satellite rocket from 1955:
that Renwal started making all sort of visible kits of things (engines, people, and animals) and the craze caught on with other manufactures. I had a visible Tamiya X-1 in 1/72 scale a few years back.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

I guess that should be 1956. This must have stayed in production for several years as my older brother had one of these around 1960 or 61 that I remember him building. Scott Lowther is going to have a model of the original von Braun passenger rocket out shortly; this is where the whole Space Shuttle concept first got rolling:

Sharkit of France is also bringing out one of the orbital stage in 1/72:
Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

oh no, another miss lunch for a year kits. where's the penny rolls?

Reply to
someone

please share some pics with us.

Reply to
someone

I wish Monogram would do a fuselage half in clear for all of thier large planes, ie, the B-25, B-26, A-26, B-24, B-29, seems a shame that they have a nice interior that can't be seen once it is built.

Reply to
n329df

the 29 with it's trolley and gunner positions would be cool.

Reply to
someone

Let's see, some Japanese company made a 1/72 clear P-51D. Sort of a 'mini-Monogram' one. Don't recall the mfr. There have been several airliner models with a clear fuselage half, haven't there? I think Revell had 1 or 2, & I'm thinking the Bandai or whatever YS-11 had a clear fuselage half at some point. I think there was a Japanese- made WWII Japanese bomber made with clear parts too. I had Jeff Roberts of Combat Models make me a clear 1/32 F4U-5 for my 'some day stash', I'd like to do it in the same manner as the Monogram Phantom Mustang. It is a shame that many of these models with highly detailed interiors don't have clear fuselages. I guess cut-aways & maybe custom vac clear fuselges are the only other options.

On Jan 16, 12:28=A0pm, Pat Flannery wrote:

Reply to
frank

The B-36 had a trolley, on the B-29 you just crawled through the tube IIRC.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Tamiya did a C6N1 Saiun "Myrt" recon aircraft with a transparent port fuselage side in 1/50 scale back in the late 1960s.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery