Too stinking hot to paint!!!

OK- just got home from a trip to Arizona to visit the parents. Wanted to hook up the compressor to do some work on the new Super Hornet, and it's so dammed hot (about 115 F today) the paint is drying up before it hits the surface. Shouldn't complain- on I-10 west of Blythe and the Colorado river, my car's thermometer/compass which is usually pretty accurate registered

126! DAMM!
Reply to
Jim Atkins

Yup...I'm feelin' it...

Hey - have you seen these:

In case you're interested in doing Vamire 400 (an F/A-18C similar in sheme to 100) in 1/32. Didn't see the same in 1/48.

Reply to
Rufus

Try doing anything when the humidity is hitting 100%! Yeesh.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Daytime highs here (Fallon, NV) have been around 105. I'm not settled in enough to be ready to paint anything, but I sure hope the stuff still packed up in the garage is going to survive more or less intact!!!

Reply to
Kolja

You must be close to Baltimore!

Bill Shuey (who is roaming the internet at 1:15 A.M. because it's too hot to sleep)

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Actually, it sounds more like Buffalo; five days of above ninety degrees with more than 80% humidity. We're pretty much in lock-down in the bedroom (the only room with an air conditioner) doing reading and listening to the radio and not much else. On the plus side, we've been eating a ~lot~ of ice cream! The house is only pleasant (although still warm) from abour 5AM until about maybe 10AM then the heat starts building up. There was a kid the other day up in Lewiston (just north of Niagara Falls), aged 25, that died of heat stroke. He was working on a house construction job as a temp (just got out of the Marines), said he didn't feel good and started walking home. He collapsed a mile down the road and died in the hospital. The news said he had a body temp of 107=BA when he was admitted. Stay cool and keep telling yourself: "Ain't no such thing as Global Warming!"

Reply to
Old Timer

I was out running errands today for about an hour and took water along but I still about collapsed from the heat walking in the back door. I was trying to get to a chair but my mother blocked the hallway and wanted to know what I was panting about. Whilst I was recovering she went out with her sweater on and proceeded to sweep the front walk, the sidewalk and the street in front of the curb. At least she took the sweater off!

I made several efforts to get her back in the house but she didn't see a reason to quit before she was finished. She also got a couple licks in on the township and the neighbours while she complained about the dirt. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

living in the surreal world...

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Trying to impersonate cooked meat in a can? ;) Man, I'd be dead in heat like that. Hope you had enough water along.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Hot summer is my prime modeling time. My basement in my two-story house is the coolest area in the house. 'course, if it is also very humid I do have a problem with paint drying slowly, or even blushing.

On the other hand, my air compressor is in garage, with air piped into basement workshop. Here in Minnesota winters get cold enough that air compressor will occasionally not start :-)

Reply to
Don Stauffer

water in the lines is NEVER a problem here. i still use a regulator for pressure.

I live in Baltimore, Maryland and one of the dubious benefits of living on the scenic Chesapeake Bay is the humidity. I use a lot of acrylics and drying in high humidity is quite long. I took a hint from that article on converting a Beef Jerky maker to a model dryer that ran in Fine Scale Modeler several years ago and it works a treat. I can't do a large model in it so painting a B-17 or B-24 will wait for Winter months but otherwise it solves the problem just fine. I got the food dryer at Walmart for around $30.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Oy, It was not to pleasant here in Hyattsville today, but I managed to Dulcote the Tamiya RC Tiger I bought at Hobby works for a nice discount back in April just this P. M. I just bought a compressor and water filter/regulator last week. Wish I'd done it 20 years ago... Life is indeed grand. Trying to decid whether to build the early Sherman or the late Tiger II that have arrived from Dragon this week. Guess I'll build them both. Too hot to mow the front yard....

Claude Allen

7 miles from the White House, Close to Peach Creek and Hobby Works.
Reply to
Claude H. Allen

Reply to
Steve Collins

I don't know Steve. I remember a tour of Davis-Monthan, during one IPMS National Convention. It must have been 167 degrees out on that hard-baked "sand"....but we were quite comfortable still. (I can't say that about some fellow attendees from New York, New Jersey, etc., who were *dripping* in sweat...lol). It was hot, I guess, but really not uncomfortable. I am sure you remember Central Texas in August...lol.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

The early Sherman, of course (over the Tiger). It is such a *cool* kit. And, like we really need to see *another* WWII German tank model built...lol

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Reply to
Steve Collins