trip to town

i visited jeff garrity in his new store in henderson, nv, a short way from the vegas strip. it was a great trip and i got a lot of kits from his $5 sale and more. this was my first meeting and i urge you to go. jeff is a great guy, knows his shit, has great prices and is fun to talk to. he wasn't finished setting up the new place, but i still found a lot quickly. my only lack was money. i could have spent $1000 on 1/48 ac alone. i reccomend him highly.

...hmmmnn...reminds me I haven't been into Al's in Elmhurst for my annual spree yet. Gotta try and get there sometime this week.

Reply to
Rufus

hmmmm...has that store been there forever? i may have been there as a child. there was also a great shop on state street downtown. huge sucker, prolly long gone. bought my forst tine of humbrol, around '56.

Spent my high school days buying stuff there, so it's been there at least 40+ years. I still shop there when I can.

There used to be a Squadron Shop right down the street at Rt 83, but it closed some years ago. Used to hang there, too.

Reply to
Rufus

did you ever know the state street store?

No, can't say I did. Never really ventured into the City (as we call it) until I started dating a cheerleader from the high school where my Dad taught...and then I had other objectives..

Reply to
Rufus

yes, i can easily see that....

when you finally make that desert trip, i'll take you. after you see the train yards here and victorville.

Haven't been to Al's in awhile myself--awesome store. I also really like Venture in...Wheeling I think. Unfortunately, the only time I ever hit either is when we're in Darian for the Butch O'Hare show, then the club guys like to do the hobbyshop rounds. Made the BOH show this year as always, but not the hobbyshops. I'd love to hit a couple in Iowa City too, and that's only what, sixty miles? Can't seem to get there either. Dammitol.

Reply to
Disco58

I've always heard good things about him. Glad to hear I'm hearing correctly.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I sold him quite a few kits back when I was trading with the Eastern Europe modelers. Had a table at a few of his shows in NJ too. Nice guy, but I gave up the shows when I kept seeing only the same faces show after show and the sales numbers dropped off. That was back when he just did bulk mailing; I'm sure with the Net now he has a lot of newcomers to the shows.

M. J. Rudy

AT hotmail DOT com

Reply to
M. J. Rudy

apparently he's getting some foot traffic, too. it's fun looking at hi stuff and i can't wait till he's all set up.

I keep hearing good things about Venture, but I've never been there. Got time now...may have to check it out.

Reply to
Rufus

check the oldies for me, ok?

Iowa City is approximately 210 miles from Darien, Illinois -- about 3 hours via I-88 and I-80.

Charles Metz

Reply to
Charles Metz