My trip to the VLA

I'm currently on a business trip to Albuquerque, and decided to take a quick day trip to the VLA near Socorro, NM.

The rocketry-related portion of this post is that they have a visitors center at the VLA, and the introductory video presentation *opens* with a bunch of kids flying model rockets. I can't remember the exact wording, but it was something like "mankind has always been fascinated with reaching for the the sky". I was quite a (pleasant) surprise.

For anyone who happens to be in the area, I highly recommend a trip to the VLA. It should be on everyones "geek tourism" list :-)

Reply to
Marcus Leech

Visit Ray Calkins while there!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

What is the VLA??

Reply to
RayDunakin

Very Large Array - the largest aperture synthesis radio telescope in the United States.

Ed

Ah! I was thinking "Vertical Launch Area". :)

Reply to
RayDunakin

Doh! I forgot that Ray was in NM. I leave here tommorow morning.

Reply to
Marcus Leech