Biggest Boost Glider

So what is the biggest boost glider that you have seen? (Other than the Space Shuttle). Is it possible to have a slow launch say with an M then have an RC glider. Is there a manufacturer that makes boost gliders for a 29mm or 38mm motor mount?

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
JimNietmann

The biggest I have seen is about 4 foot span but it was a pterodactyl format on a J125. Free flight BG.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

X-30 project, which has flown at NARAM, LDRS 21 and LDRS 22. You can see a photo at

First flight was LDRS 21 in Amarillo, TX on an L motor, I believe. I'm not sure what was used at NARAM. At LDRS 22 in Argonia, KS it flew on a HyperTEK M motor.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

There's the "Star Booster" M-powered RCRG that the Cal Poly folks have flown at Fresno several times now.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Wouldn't the X-30 or Rocket Challenge be considered a boost glider in extreme form?

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Kev> X-30 project, which has flown at NARAM, LDRS 21 and LDRS 22. You can

To add to Kevin's post...Here's a couple of videos:

The pilot is Dave Schaefer, the NAR's Level 3 certification committee chairman. He has a new projest, surely his greatest challenge to date: teaching me to fly my Slow Stick :)

Seriously, he's been working with me so that eventually I'll be able to fly my RC-equipped Edmonds Ecee Thunder.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Yeah, but technically that's a RG, not a BG. ;O)

Seriously though - the next biggest glider I know of is Jason Ware's big-ass upscale Orbital Transport with R/C. Which is a wee bit smaller that the X-30. I'm sure there are others out there.

Reply to
BB

I did a George Gassaway inspired boost glider, some of his work can be found here

Mine actually made a quick cameo on the Rocket Challenge show, in the first hour, return from last comercial. Here is a picture of it
,some better pictures can be found at
Thanks George for your post on the RC Robarts UFO's

Happy Flying! Mike Dickinson

Reply to
The Dickinson's

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

I think the second biggest was probably Gary Price's SST glider back in the late 80's or early 90's. I saw him fly it a couple times on an I65. IIRC, he later flew one on a J125.

Reply to
RayDunakin

The "Greater Cincinnati Radio Control Club" has been flying a J125 powered radio contolled scale shuttle for the past 10 years or more. Wing span is about

6 feet and length is about 6. It is flown several times a year but in public at the club's annual "Flying Circus" in August. It is the last event of the day and really "wows" the public. Hits about 1000 feet and glides, well like the real shuttle, like a brick and lands on the paved landing strip (or sometimes in the grass but always right in of the crowd).

Karl Perry QUARK, Cincinnati, OH

Reply to
KG8GC

wow cool Karl, I'd like to see that...

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Too cool!! Got a link to any pics?

Reply to
RayDunakin

Yea............a lot of them........so long ago 8^(

AstronMike

Reply to
Mike Lee Kochel

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JimNietmann) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m06.aol.com:

Rob Edmonds' scaled up Ecee Thunder.

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

Good grief, Len.

You for one should know that the Ecee Thunder is a "rocket" glider....

:-P

Andy

Reply to
Andy Eng

Biggest attempted? or that actualy glided?

:-)

Bob Kaplow

The RATT Works M would be perfect; long burn and relatively low thrust. I've flown a lot of RC rocket gliders. The best was the AT Phoenix, in terms of performance; you just can't beat a Bob Parks designed airplane...but it wasn't really a rocket, it was a slope soarer for people with no slopes. I personally love the NCR Avatar, which looks to me as though a Concorde fell in love with a Shuttle and had kids. It doesn't glide very long but it looks VERY cool doing it, and it is rock stable under boost.

Is anyone else old enough to remember the Pittsburgh Convention, and Danny Sternglass flying his D-cluster boost gliders? I don't know what Danny called them, but the popular name was "Flying Lumber Yard." The ones I watched all suffered from a typical problem of big boost gliders: having enough pieces of the vehicle still stuck together after burnout that you can get a glide. Today's master of this phenomenon is undoubtedly Robert Edmonds. I am in awe of Robert's knowledge of aerodynamics and his amazing determination to test every imaginable configuration of wing and motor. I'm also amazed that he hasn't been arrested for littering.

Doug Pratt rocket geezer

Doug Pratt

snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com (Andy Eng) wrote in news:3fb9429b.462119262 @news.cis.dfn.de:

Duh, I just saw the glider part.