Boost Glider Mod

Does anyone here have instructions on how to modify the Estes T25 Centurion Boost glider to add a .049 engine to it as is claimed in their ads? Or do I just throw it on the front end the best I can?

Thanks. Tom

Reply to
Tom Acquilano

Sounds like Estes forgot to include the .049 instructions. Been a while since I've seen such a conversion but IIRC you actually build a pod with the .049 mount that goes into the motor mount tube as the .049 is used with a pusher prop. Somewhere on

theres a thread detailing the conversion covering .049 and speed 400. All else fails give the Estes a ring at 719.372.6565. I'd bet they could email the directions to you.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Tom Acquilano wrote:

Reply to
nedtovak

The conversion consists/consisted of a plain (unfilled) E motor casing, with a plywood firewall glued to it. The firewall had a notch into which the engine hook engaged to prevent the adapter from rotating due to torque. Simple and it worked.

They fly alright with a Black Widow, or TeeDee with tank mount and pusher prop (or reverse crank TeeDee). Should also be fine with a Norvel as long as you buy a pusher prop and tnak mount. Check your balance with the tank full. Don't run the engine longer than you have to on the ground to get it tuned up, as in pusher mode the cooling is poor until it is moving. .049's run cooler with smaller props, you might want to run a 5-3, but at least don't exceed a 6-3. 15% nitro minimum, 50% castor oil (of the total oil content that is..) or more, 20-22% oil preferred - I don't know if you know .049's well or not so just a couple of pointers. Ignore them if you know already.

Mike Dennett

Reply to
Mike Dennett

If you use a reed-valve engine, just use a regular prop (put on backwards) and it will work just fine. They run equally well in either direction, as long as you don't use the spring starter.

Brett

Reply to
Brett Buck

That's right! The teedee's were the ones that needed the pusher prop. Ages ago once used a black widow on my 2 meter glider with pusher config...did a number on my right hand big time ;/ A F100 and a faulty wiring did it's job on my left hand. For the sake of taste I'll leave out what a direct to.....12' slapshot can do.

Somewhat back to topic here.... Anyone interested in a sub $100 total investment C/D/E RCRG? I think I have a setup that could work.

Ted 'Mr. Self Destruct' Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

You have any more details? The sub $100 a total? R/C gear and glider?

Reply to
Bruce Canino

I'm interested, got any more details? What are the wings made of? Mike

Reply to
mpl

Actually it's a foam flying wing idea. The foam is foam poster board that you can get at any Target or Wally world. I've made a couple of parkflyers out of the stuff and it's really easy to work with.

Foam board building tips;

$40 for a 2 channel stick radio with elevon mixing:

**&P=0 $9 sub micro 9 gram servos;

Make your own battery pack from a common 9 volt nicad. Add a little

24mm tubing for the MMT and you have a C/D/E capable RCBG. Any extra coin you have at this point would go for launcher construction.

Haven't tried all this yet but it's on the big list.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Would be interested to hear more details about that myself.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Repost from earlier:

Actually it's a foam flying wing idea. The foam is foam poster board that you can get at any Target or Wally world. I've made a couple of parkflyers out of the stuff and it's really easy to work with.

Foam board building tips;

$40 for a 2 channel stick radio with elevon mixing:

**&P=0 $9 sub micro 9 gram servos;

Make your own battery pack from a common 9 volt nicad. Add a little

24mm tubing for the MMT and you have a C/D/E capable RCBG. Any extra coin you have at this point would go for launcher construction.

Haven't tried all this yet but it's on the big list.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Thanks. The previous post turned up on my server eventually.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

I haven't purchased any of their kits but I have scratched a few wings. What I've done is used a heat gun to form the airfoil and it retains it's shape rather well. One thing I should mention is that the foam has a grain. In other words it's easy to bend in one direction but the opposite direction cannot be bent. The RCRG wing I'm thinking of would in fact use foam ribs for retaining the proper airfoil shape.

I really should get down to it and bring this idea to life. I know Rob Edmunds has been trying to do a RCRG kit that's under a $100 including radio but just maybe I can beat him to it :)

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d