Biggest Boost Glider

Probably the giant Flagship flown by Phil Barnes after the World Championships at Lakehurst. 4 D12+ (E11?) Staged to 2 D12+ staged to 4 F7s. About 380 ns, or a low end I30 motor. George Gassaway was probably there for this flight as well. And Alan Jones.

Bob Kaplow

JIM

Probably the giant Flagship flown by Phil Barnes after the World Championships at Lakehurst. 4 D12+ (E11?) Staged to 2 D12+ staged to 4 F7s. About 380 ns, or a low end I30 motor. George Gassaway was probably there for this flight as well. And Alan Jones.

Reply to
GCGassaway

Thanks! I've seen the Deltie Thunder fly at some of our local launches. Really neat kit and fun to watch.

Reply to
RayDunakin

You can also buy his stuff from BMS, and maybe Apogee. And hopefully at a dealer near you. BMS was offering a nice Edmonds starter pack to dealers at the Hobby Show a couple months ago.

Bob Kaplow

Left out cuz it didn't really apply to the glider thread. The Cineroc was on the pod. Was it one of Herb's? Did any one ever see the film from the flight?

Keith is one of the recent BARs to return to the hobby. I don't know if any one else remembered him, but he was at NARAM-17 and NARAM-19 and perhaps others. He used to hang out with Steve Behrends. He was flying big wacky BGs back in the 70s.

A NIRA member has flown a 1.5X LadyHawk on twin G motors. I've been trying to talk him into doing a bigger one, perhaps 2X, to fly on HPR motors.

Bob Kaplow

He should ask me for a custom motor. Permissible at indy and international launches, I believe even NAR FAI practices.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I seem to recall seeing a picture in Model Rocketeer of an Condor R/G swing-wing built by Al Neinast that was in that ballpark, too. Late

70's, of course.

That's gotta be some sort of record. But what did you boost it with in '74? Thats a pretty big model even for an Enerjet F.

Brett

Reply to
Brett Buck

Well, Ive not yet made a solid wing over that, its too unweildly to store and transport. I did do an over 8ft span on my old Flexfire II, which was an H/I powered full up rocket glider, which weighed around 2.5lbs and a total wing area of around 3000 in sq. Yea, great wing loading, but it didnt glide any better than a flying brick like Astron SST or even a darned EconoGlider.

Might have been a victim of scaling effects.

Just how much wing area was that? My largest in terms of a *solid* wing was my largest saucer glider, this had like 2200 or so sq in. Flew very well on a J350, although I couldve done a better job at lightening for an I something.

How big was this? And didnt this have RC on it, and a team project? I dont really consider such a thing comparable to my old stuff, since Ive not made a glider costing over $25 or so. In fact, my first H powered glider cost NOTHING, as all the stuff for it was saved from the dumpster on my job as a custodian (yea, RMR, Im not a real aerospace engineer like someone else 8^).

Wasnt this more or less a parasited glider on a large BT? IIRC it also was RC or otherwise electronic.

Seems that that may well be the best way to fly such things nowadays, just go electronic and not be so delay/transition dependant. BTW, George, I did get that radio from Tower as you suggested. Fixing to slap together a D powered crap RCRG and teach myself to fall with style.

Heh he, fly this over Bob Kaplow to "rain on his parade" next NARAM. Mission points if get him.

*searches old Pink Book for any reference to water counting as any part of a glider, nope, dont see it, gives me ideas*

Ive never really like solid swing wings, going with flexie RGs instead. Still wouldnt mind doing a large one even if watered down to Gs.

AstronMike

Reply to
Mike Lee Kochel

Oh, if the criteria were biggest rocket boosted glider by span, and R/C was not a criteria? Great Dane III, 1974, 9.5 foot span. I used to do a lot of large swing wings, that was the biggest one. I was a really good customer of Sig's pre-airfoiled balsa for those things.....

But what did you boost it with in '74? Thats a pretty big model even for an Enerjet F.

Reply to
GCGassaway

Well, Ive not yet made a solid wing over that, its too unweildly to store and transport. I did do an over 8ft span on my old Flexfire II, which was an H/I powered full up rocket glider, which weighed around 2.5lbs and a total wing area of around 3000 in sq. Yea, great wing loading, but it didnt glide any better than a flying brick like Astron SST or even a darned EconoGlider.

Reply to
GCGassaway

Al's mdoel was probably about 6 to 7 feet of span. His wings were of the sheeted variety and beautifully constructed (he brought background as an furniture maker to his hobby and the craftsmanship really showed). IIRC, he shreaded the bird on composite motor, but it was the fuselague that broke, not the wings.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Mark B. Bundick mbundick - at - earthlink - dot - net NAR President www - dot - nar - dot - org

"The great enemy of truth is very often not the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - by the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic . . . We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - JFK

Reply to
Mark B. Bundick

There's the loophole for you. Internats motors don't need to be NAR certified. But they usually are very small and need to be ultra reliable. Can you make 10mm A, B, C composites? FOr more Jerry fun, George would have to use them if you made them for the team.

Bob Kaplow

That would be a 53" disk. I'm prtetty sure Grrr has that beat, but of course, it never flew successfully.

Even Grrr was RC.

Bob Kaplow

Have you noticed the NAR president does not reply to messages I post here specifically addressed toward him? And replies to email inquiries (if at all) with "Thank you for yourinput." Hardly addressing the issue at all, eh?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That's why they have agressively declined over and over.

Yet another example of shooting yourself in the foot to serve your prejudice and grudge.

I took the 10.5mm motors off the internet for security, but here remains the 13mm:

I suppose I could join the team and **I** alone would have superior motors no other team or team member would have. Got to further the same attitude they proffered for 15 years :)

Tech Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I saw Jon Robbins fly one of his large Groundhogs on an Enerjet F at one of our Mid America Regional meets (not a contest event). He shredded the wings on boost.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

"thank you for your input"

Bob Kaplow

:)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Irv> > > He should ask me for a custom motor. Permissible at indy and

I've got 1/2" C and D motors, don't see any problem making smaller ones such as 3/8 diameter A's and B's. The D motor tests at 14 lb of thrust for .4 seconds.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Binford