Boost Gliders

Ok, Im an RC nut who's currently going for his L1 cert. I have a question or two or three ...

1) The only boost gliders I have seen are small, low-power designs. Are there legalities that prevent folks from doing HP boost RC gliders ? But, then again I might be looking in the wrong places. Im sure there is some interest in this . Can someone point me to more information on this ?

2) Also, are there any HPR plan sites out there ? I've found some for the low-power stuff but nothing for HPR.

Thanks !

Reply to
Bill Botook

Nope.

Hmmm. Not offhand.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The two HPR RC gliders that I have seen are pretty interesting.

First is the X-30. A very large model of the NASA concept. Powered by an L motor and flown at the last two LDRS's. Very nice and flies pretty well for its size.

Then there was the case of an individual who insisted on making his level 1 certification flight using a glider (I use that term loosely) of his own design. He failed three times.

Ok, Im an RC nut who's currently going for his L1 cert. I have a question or

Reply to
David Schultz

This is not RC but could be made that way. Mine is in the second row, on pad

  1. This runs on 29mm.
    is a site that will give you a lot more information.
    Happy Flying! Mike Dickinson
Reply to
Dickinson's

This site looks like it's in transition, but it used to have a number of mid-power (D-G) kits & plans:

The largest I've seen is a local flyer who put a spectacular free-flight on an H97J last year.

Reply to
Andrew MacMillen

1) The only boost gliders I have seen are small, low-power designs. Are there legalities that prevent folks from doing HP boost RC gliders ?
Reply to
GCGassaway

If you want an RC glider design that is adaptable to HPR, check out John Kallend's LadyHawk. The original is designed to fly on 1 or 2 24mm motors, and I've seen it take off on an F39 like a bat-out-of-hell! A club member scaled it up 50% for G motors. A 2X scale up should be just about right for flying on H motors.

Bob Kaplow

The uncovered 1.5X ladyhawk can be seen at

Bob Kaplow

How about kit bashing an Estes Strato-Blaster? I have a the earlier version which is not quite as RTF as the recent ones. It's kinda big and heavy and might adapt well to a 29mm update. If you are interested, contact me privately and I might be willing to negotiate something as I have lost interest in the kit. It is complete and unbuilt.

Reply to
Al Gloer

Nope, there have been some folks who built/flew big high power gliders. For instance, at LDRS last year someone had a huge X-30 model that was powered by an L or M motor, with glider recovery.

Reply to
RayDunakin

How about a 10X upscale of the Estes Orbital Transport?

Wedge Oldham

Wedge Oldham

Sweet. Since LDRS is in NY or AL It looks like RocStock for you.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Hello Bill,

We need to get you to meet Astron Mike...

Him and Chris Taylor... :-)

Best, Andy

Reply to
Andy Eng

Cool! At that size, it ought to be easy to rig up a R/C fired motor for the glider... maybe a long burning AT R/C reload.

Reply to
Vince

Here is Jason Ware's site with an upscale OT on a I, with an R/C Glider

Here is an R/C Bell X-1
Happy Flying!

Reply to
Dickinson's

AMA regs prohibit launching rockets from RC craft, not RATO

You can upscale the plan from RCMModeler 'RUSSIAN CP-1'

a semi-scale 32.5" foamwing plan for the Bereznyak-Isayev BI-1 rocketplane

not a bad flyer on 'E' power as-is, and can cluster the 24mm if you want.

much better than the Estes gliders to get your feet wet before going larger.

If you can't cut your own cores, you could find a precut core for something else and scale from there.

** mike **
Reply to
mike

How does one sand an airfoil?

Reply to
Scottso

Please refer to

section

8.2.6, and if you have any further questions, ask away.

Bob Kaplow