NAR BoD declines Wickman leadership in legislative action

FYI

- iz

-------Original Message------- From: "Mark B. Bundick" Sent: 08/24/03 05:03 PM To: snipped-for-privacy@acceptable-gains.com Subject: NAR Board Meeting Results - Defer Legislative Strategy to ARSA

The Board reviewed your request to defer legislative strategy to the Amateur Rocket Society of America (ARSA). The Board determined that the Association cannot defer such strategy decisions to outside entities and discharge its legal and moral obligations to the membership. The Board will continue to rely on the NAR President to discharge the day to day operations of legislative matters.

Kind regards, Mark B. Bundick, President National Association of Rocketry

izzy

Yeah , they'd rather throw money at lawyers that sit & do nothing ......

JD

Reply to
JDcluster

We're screwed.

Jim

Reply to
MaSter bLasteR

But it is a clear plan guaranteed to succeed and look good on annual reports.

Damn the actual results and outcomes. It's "not their fault."

Typical bureaucrats running a bureaucracy.

If nothing else Mark Bundick is a traditional bureaucrat supreme.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

From what I've heard, NAR/TRA has spent MUCH more on Kyte this year, than has been spent on the lawsuit.

Now the "modified" 724 is sitting on two Senators who are threatening a filibuster. I think it's "pushing up daisies" myself

Maybe I don't have all the info, but it seems that it would have been best to let JW do his thing, and have NAR/TRA continue with the courts. Why NAR wants to keep things as they are, has me mystified......

Reply to
Woody Miller

It is VERY simple.

Control freaks. Meglomaniacs.

Thay cannot stand that something someone else does would help them against their will and without their full control and authority. So participating if only to screw it was mandatory for an entity with this culture.

Look at the NAR BoT votes in their totality to see s systematic pattern supporting this theory.

Oh, and don't bother looking for the board vote results from NARAM on the website. It's not there.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

What NAR cert level is needed to fly handguns? :-) First of all there's the whole "metal in a rocket" thing, but if the bullets could be used to deploy the chute, then I guess the BP's ok!

Reply to
Woody Miller

Shotgun shells work.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Good. It would be a dereliction of duty if they did otherwise.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Reply to
Alex Mericas

That's why they are called "sheeple" and let's face it, 80% of members are sheeple.

That makes for no negative feedback on leaders except a few predictible "whiners" which they systematically ignore and denegrate which of course fully dismissing the proposals themselves as DOA.

Need proof? Just look at the NAR Board minutes from MARAM-2003.

Jerry

NAR 24333 and at the top of the ignore, FUD list. At the top of suggestions that would work if implemented list. Need proof? *I* proposed LMR.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Not. Legal bills are already over $100K.

Won't be able to answer that one i either the legal or legislative cases until the dust settles. if we win in either forum, it's a good deal. If not it's not.

Bob Kaplow

Bunny made it pretty clear at the NAR town meeting that the NAR is following Sen Enzi, not John Wickman or any one else. It seems that Sen. Enzi has put everything he's got into this process, and is determined to get something out of it. There's certainly no political payback to him for taking on such a small cause. I just hope that after the sausage making process, the end result doesn't do us more damage than good.

Bob Kaplow

Woody, I can guarantee you that I don't parrot the views of either management and I think that the NAR is doing the right thing. Here's why:

  1. The court case is the best chance that we have in having our shackles removed. It's better to be heard before a judge than a misinformed, politically-motivated fearmongering Congress.
  2. The legislative effort should be applauded. If it had succeeded in not being turned into a Democratic "the Republicans are killing babies" issue, it may have had a chance to succeed. But the reality is that NOW, liberal Democrats see the exemption as an open sore that they can exploit for their own political gains. We will NOT win a legislative fight on this one. The issue is meaningless to the majority of the public, who are the only hope in defeating the Democratic mantra, and therefore, it will never fly. John Q Public doesn't give a damn if a bunch of hobby rocketeers are "inconvenienced or eliminated" from practicing their hobby but a judge just might be interested in righting an inequity. A good judge goes by the rule of law, not mob rule.

Mark Simpson

You're dead on for Jerry!

I don't know John, so I can't say there. I suspect he's one of "us", and had some contact with someone in the right place, namely Sen Enzi. Both had to be naive if they thought this might just sail past the JBGTs and their friends in congress ...

Bob Kaplow

Had NAR and TRA not louodly red flagged it . . . .

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Antique Homemade cannons fire my ejection charges.

They are made easy with 1/4" tubes of cardboard and a e-match. Makes A very nice cannon to put my BP in.

They go boom nice in the back yard testing. All nice fun , and sactioned by the national cannon association as well.

snipped-for-privacy@news.verizon.net>...

Reply to
AlMax714

Before NAR stuck their limp dick into the mix this issue was well off the radar screen exactly as intended by the authors. >>

Oh puh-leeze! There's no way it would have gotten through the Judiciary Committee without Hatch and Kohl knowing about it.

Reply to
RayDunakin

I've actually spoken with Mr. Wickman. He's the farthest thing from a meglomaniac as can be. The guy is one of the most level-headed and down to earth guys out there.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d