NAR BoD declines Wickman leadership in legislative action

My faux pas, I should have been more specific. Noone, except for the aforementioned diehard competitors, will travel hundreds of miles to fly MRs. You are a diehard competitor, therefore, you would. I'm not a competitor and most of the fliers that I fly with aren't either and I don't see us racking up a lot of miles to fly rockets that I could fly within 10 minutes of home.

If you don't think that the current trend amongst the fearmongers ISN'T aimed at killing HPR, then you have been asleep at the wheel. I can assure you that Wickman isn't my Svengali. While I applauded his attempt, I certainly don't condone his inflammatory statements.

Was it >62.5g? If so, you may not be doing it for much longer if the BATFE has its way. ;-)

Mark Simpson

some deleted

Joel, I guess I'm a sheeple in John's mind. ;-) I don't ever recall worrying about what someone else thinks of my opinions in the past. Maybe I'm getting old (turned 47 yesterday) and just haven't realized that my opinions really aren't my own anymore. ;-)

Mark Simpson

I think Jerrys' suggestion, to follow your analogy, would be like

*requiring* that you get a drivers' license BEFORE you're allowed to take the bus. ;-)
Reply to
Len Lekx

Precisely. And NAR and TRA and errortech endorse and ENFORCE that silly rule.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

There was a useful outcome. The NAR Board decided not to turn over complete control to Mr. Wickman. I fully support this decision, as I don't believe Mr. Wickman fully understands the legislative process. And a further note, myself and my fellow club members did not write our letters until we heard from the NAR and TRA leadership, as we have no personal knowledge of Mr. Wickman, or his agenda. As for Senator Enzi, I at first thought him to be a decent and honorable man , who was willing to help us overcome unnecessary regulations, but you keep telling us he's a two-faced, lying backstabber, who publicly praises, and privately condemns the people who are helping him.

Reply to
Christopher Deem

Well said!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

of that vote is.

Exactly.

KKuczek

Reply to
Kevin Kuczek

I don't have 'superiors', I have associates who share a common purpose.

"The Amateur Rocketry Society of America's (ARSA) primary goal is to enable US citizens to enjoy all forms of non-professional rocketry."

I have forwarded this request to my associates for their entertainment.

I certainly will.

the decision of that vote is.

I have no knowledge of any pending "meetings". We find informal and adhoc collaboration to be very effective. But if responses are made I am confident in their consensus. In any case, I will report the results of my communication, which included your request verbatim.

- iz

Reply to
izzy

The difference is prior to May 24, people bought and flew HPR motors instate and transported them to launches (even out of state). Now they can't without an LEUP and magazine. Whether or not that was legal is irrelevant because the difference is now they can't buy without the LEUP.

Joel. phx

Hardly, it's the fact they can't buy the products.

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I think that we should learn our lesson from this year's action in Congress, lick our wounds and put our time, effort and money into the lawsuit. The whole HSA topic has become a hotbed amongst members of Congress trying to out secure each other by demogoguing anyone that tries to introduce legislation that is perceived as weakening the HSA. In this climate, rolling back regulations on "explosives" is, at best, a very uphill battle. This Republican-controlled Congress and Republican President have been ineffective in something as simple as getting judges for Circuit Courts confirmed. The tactics employed by the minority party in Congress has paralyzed the majority. Sad but true. Our hopes lie in getting a judge taking a serious look at the merits of our case and making the right decision out of the public arena in which politicians play one upmanship with the HSA. (I know that this was a political post, but it was on-topic)

Mark Simpson

Both legislative and judicial relief is required.

BTW, there is a growing resistance to the "Patriot Act" spreading across the U.S.. While they have no effect on the law, many cities are passing resolutions against it. As Congress returns from a hot summer at home, and looks forward to a nasty election year ahead, the home town opinion is worth something.

Our cause is the same. Keep C> Our hopes lie in getting a judge taking a serious look at the merits

Reply to
Alex Mericas

letters until we heard from the NAR and TRA leadership, as we have no personal knowledge of Mr. Wickman, or his agenda.

his "agenda" is as published:

"The Amateur Rocketry Society of America's (ARSA) primary goal is to enable US citizens to enjoy all forms of non-professional rocketry."

who was willing to help us overcome unnecessary regulations, but you keep telling us he's a two-faced, lying backstabber, who publicly praises, and privately condemns the people who are helping him.

Senator Enzi is a politician who rewarded a supporter with a public acknowledgement. That does not necessitate his agreement or satisfaction with all aspects of that supporters activity.

your acrimony is misdirected. Consider directing elsewhere.

- iz

Reply to
izzy

Why is it irrelevant that it was illegal before? My point is that nothing significant has changed. Mostly people's perceptions of what is/was legal.

I don't see a problem caused by the change in the laws. The lack of Aerotech motors was due to the start-up in Utah. Other slow downs are due to dealers and flyers misunderstanding the laws.

There is no reason why anyone can't go to a launch and buy/fly whatever they want, just as they always have. If there was a dealer at the launch before and there is now, nothing has changed except the recording of in- state transactions. To legally get around this change, have someone with a LEUP help you purchase the motors. Arrange for storage and transportation for what you don't fly that day. People that were storing and transporting without a LEUP before May 24, 2003 were breaking the law, even with in-state purchases.

Of course, we all want to get the regulations changed. But all this hand-wringing and misinformation about "high power is being killed" is doing just as much to make it come true. I think some people here just like being "the victim" and continue reinforcing each others misunderstanding of the situation. If you all really want to see some revitalization of the HPR side of the hobby, re-read this message and go out and help people FLY ROCKETS!

-John DeMar

John DeMar

rocketeers who happen to also be members of TRA/NAR, many of whom openly acknowledged that they were writing in response to John W.'s call for action, that delays were not justified, and that they would continue to respond to John W.'s future calls.

I agree completely. What matters is responsiveness.

constituents have substantially more weight, as they can remove a Senator from office by their votes

this is generally true. However, and this is an important point, in the role of committee member, the Senator represents and is accountable to every citizen of the nation. Otherwise either a small subset of states would offically reign over national policy, or all committees would require 50 members so that all states would be represented.

certainly true, but he was not unimpressed with the interest shown in the issue by letters both from other states and from outside the U.S. I know of a certainty he was impressed with letters from the U.K.

if you are speaking about a committee member deciding on an issue in committee, this is inaccurate. To whatever degree it may be in individual Senator's cases, it is a clear breach of their fiduciary duty.

Senator Enzi did not misdirect anyone. He endorsed what he could, made "suggestions" or otherwise provided information where he could not actually endorse. When approached by TRA/NAR about some actions, he said "that is your right", clearly a statement of non-commitment.

as originally introduced

to propagate the H-K substitute is to resign ourselves to the reign of fear, misinformation and irrationality.

reflect on this:

this is an opportunity for us to safeguard our liberty against the powermongers, bureaucrats and hysterics. To fail to confront them is to acquiese to the continued erosion of our rights, our freedoms, and our way of life.

I rather like the motto of the original Superman TV series:

"Truth, Justice, and the American Way"

- iz

- iz

Reply to
izzy

I was never a die-hard competitor for very long, and haven't driven to a launch just to compete for at least 5 years. One would think that your attempt to "attack the messenger" shows signs of you starting to lean to the left. ;) At least you admitted you were unclear, which shows some hope.

Now go back to your original premise that HPR will be dead and there will be no waivered launches to go to. Current laws and proposed regulation still allow a healthy HPR market... if people would stop spreading FUD.

Yes it was >62.5g, and it is quite legal now and would still be under the proposed BATFE rules, with or without the lame legislation. So, what's your point? More FUD, and from Mark Simpson of all people... What's this world coming to! ;)

-John

Reply to
John DeMar

One is a true established organization run by its membership. The other is a one man show with a history of misinformation, public raking of the other organization, and inability to admit to mistakes. One has been consistently working for years to improve the legal aspects of the hobby. The other is irrelevant. In my opinion, of course. ;)

-John DeMar

John DeMar

All for one, one for all. Every man for himself.

If the NAR calls their clubs "sections" and the TRA has its "prefects", does ARSA have "cells"? I haven't heard of any ARSA clubs yet... maybe they're all just "sleepers".

-John

Reply to
John DeMar

Mark, please answer the question. What is the result of John Kyte's participation?

- iz

Reply to
izzy

As Mark Bundick posted in a rare moment of industry support targeted precisely in the right place, Trip Barber is also preparing a response. I stronlgy suggest you embrace that as well. Trip has a habbit of kicking serious A$$ with irrefutable facts and undeniable credibility.

Just Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That is the statement that should be focused on. He did not say, please do that. He indicated disinterest.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine