NAR President on News Conference by Senators

As reported here previously, using inaccurate and scientifically insupportable information, two U.S. Senators attacked amateur and hobby rocket enthusiasts across America.

In response, John Kyte drafted a rebuttal press release for the NAR and TRA, which was delivered to all media outlets attending the Lautenberg / Schumer press conference. The text of that announcement will be available at the NAR website

shortly.

I have prepared a direct NAR response to Senators Schumer and Lautenberg which I will fax to their offices in the morning. That response reads:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = I am writing you again on behalf of the hundreds of members of the National Association of Rocketry (NAR) who reside in your state.

I am deeply and terribly disappointed in your participation in a news conference with Senator (insert Sen. name here ) on July 29, 2003. That news conference contained numerous factual errors and distortions regarding both the chemical properties of the propellant used by NAR members and the capabilities of our rockets. Additionally, no examples of any terrorist or criminal use, or attempted use, exist in the Department of Justice's records. The material presented in this news conference ignores a demonstrated 46 year track record of safe operation, and community service provided by NAR members and is a tremendous disservice to a safe, educational and fun hobby representing absolutely no threat to the safety of the American people.

I and the members of the NAR stand ready to meet with you and your staff to discuss your concerns, and present solid scientific evidence of both the capabilities of our rockets and the properties of our propellant, generated not by ourselves, but by carefully and fully researched government, industry and educational institution studies on APCP rocket fuel and rockets. These studies were done by groups such as the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, the National Fire Protection Association, the United Nations, the U.S. Air Force Phillips Laboratory, Edwards AFB, Johns Hopkins University's Chemical Propulsion Information Agency, and the National Research Council, National Academy of Sciences. I urge you to let these facts, not the hysteria of well meaning, but misinformed government officials, direct your thinking on this important matter.

And again, I urge you to allow the substitute S 724 to be voted out of the Senate.

Sincerely, Mark B. Bundick, President National Association of Rocketry

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

This is likely to be only the first in a series of politically motivated distortions of our position, which we must be prepared to counter. John Kyte did an excellent job today, turning around a response to this news conference in under 3 hours, making sure it was properly coordinated with Sen. Enzi's office, and hitting EVERY news outlet that attended the conference.. That effort meant our position in opposition to these distoritions made the initial AP news story that went out at 5 PM Eastern today.

Finally, I also received a call from and granted an interview to the New York Times today. Members may wish to check tomorrow's edition to see what might come of that. There was nothing posted to the Times' website as of 9:15 CDT tonight.

Members who wish to receive a summary of talking points to use with the press on S.724 are welcome to contact me directly via email.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Mark B. Bundick mbundick - at - earthlink - dot - net NAR President www - dot - nar - dot - org

Reply to
Mark B. Bundick

How much does it cost to take out full page ads in DC?

Joel. phx

They have to read something while doing their thinking,....

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Roughly $10,000

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

They only think long enough to stay regular! ;-)

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy