The finger pointing continues...

According to it, the failure of S.724 was all the fault of NAR/TRA/Kyte.

Uh Huh. I believe every word. And monkeys really do fly out of my butt.

Reply to
running for cover

Do you need a LMUP for that?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Considering you are "running for cover " we definitely cannot rule that out!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It is an editorial from one person's view. It appears to me that the NAR/TRA did not want to let Wickman run the show (call it what you want, they had the responsibility to look out for themselves) and he did not want to share the leadership with NAR/TRA. I doubt either parties trusts the other.

Assuming the note Izzy posted was real (I saw no signature, no salutations, nothing) then Kyte was saying that if there had to be a weight limit (unlimited was not going to fly) then 50-100lbs was reasonable and consistent with existing exemptions.

Wickman does not agree with the strategy of pass> The opposition of the Bush Administration to regulatory relief

Even if it got through committee, it wouldn't have passed.

runn>

Alex Mericas

Considering Wickman and Enzi (and myself and many others) speak with a similar voice on this point and NAR/TRA/Kyte/Kohl/Hatch speak with another, this point alone shows the dividing line as clear as anything in this discussion.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Since they didn't *start* the show, they had no real basis to demand a say in how things were done. S724 was entirely a Wickman/Enzi venture, so coming in and saying "We'll take it from here" is bad manners at best...

And we ended up with less than one pound. By dropping hints that weight limits were acceptable, the door was opened for *any* kind of restrictions.

How many bad laws get changed for the better in the House or Senate? From what I've seen, the only changes tend to be MORE repressive. :-(

Reply to
Len Lekx

Point.

Point.

Point.

Len Lekx for BoT and BOD and NFPA seat.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Ya! what do you think this is, anyways? A democracy????

Ya! they never woulda thought of weight limits on their own!

Reply to
David

Exacly. That's what I've felt all along. If someone who is not a member of an organization (NAR/TRA in this case) comes along and says "I'm doing something which will benefit you, don't get involved" I would tend to be sceptical, to put it mildly. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

As a counter-example, if someone who was not a licensed amateur radio operator made a proposal to the FCC concerning amateur radio, and told the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) to just stay out of it, the LAST thing the ARRL would do is sit back and do NOTHING. Of course they would get involved.

Reply to
running for cover

Reply to
Alex Mericas

Since I'm not a US citizen, I have to claim ineligibility. ;-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

Actually... yes.

Thought of, sure. But by not holding firm on NO weight limits, we became another easy target. If Kyte had kept his mouth shut, let Wickman and Enzi push for no limits, we *might* have been able to negotiate a higher limit.

Ever heard of the phrase - "Give Them an Inch, and They'll Take a Mile"...? ;-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

Oh...? You didn't notice the announcements about the "TRA/NAR Legislative Effort"...? :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

But - being the responsible organization I assume the ARRL to be, I'd expect them to LOOK at the proposal first... rather than start attacking it from the outset, THEN trying to put their own name on it, and THEN decrying the 'lack of support' when it fails.

Reply to
Len Lekx

And that makes him different from any other 'volunteer leader' in exactly WHAT way...? ;-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

You gotta know that rod hurts. ; )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Why didn't you quote the rest of my post? they planned to use their resources as THEY saw fit and Wickman could participate or not as he saw fit. That is their right.

Reply to
Alex Mericas

R O F L

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

NAR paid a small fortune for a large negative benefit.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Perfect analogy.

Reply to