Model Rockets Capable of Reaching Outer Space

How much would it cost to build a model rocket that has no purpose other than to break past earth's atmosphere into outerspace, and just keep on going?

Reply to
New Question

A ton of money and one fast rocket with a stage that can burn outside the atmosphere. Once outside the atmosphere of Earth you would need a boost to get you out of orbit and the gravity field.

Saturn V is a good example of an Earth orbit breaking rocket, as well as the Delta (?) rockets carrying space bound stuff.

If I recall, to break out of earth's gravity field an object needs to be traveling at 6000 mph? I don't think you will see a model rocket break orbit and head out to space in the near future.

But what do I know, I could be wrong. Stranger things have happened. :-)

KMJK

Reply to
Karl Martin Joseph Kowert

What definition of "model rocket" fits what you describe?

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

Steven P. McNicoll asked:

Steven,

I agree anyone would be hard pressed to get anything into space on 125g of propellant. I think the definition he was using was: non-professional rocket.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

You could do it with a 50% mass fraction rocket...

and a fuel with a specific impulse of 11300 s....

and no atmosphere.

- Robert ;-)

Doug Sams wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galejs

FYI - correction It's aprox 17,000 mph to MAINTAIN an earth orbit and escape velocity is aprox 25,000 mph.

- Scott (search engine) Sager

Scott Sager

Ya know, my wife might have some of that in the laundry room :)

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Thanks Scott. I was a bit off.

KMJK=Not enough time to search engine it. :-(

Reply to
Karl Martin Joseph Kowert

"Karl Martin Joseph Kowert" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

All rockets can "burn outside the atmosphere". Propellant = fuel + oxidizer. No atmosphere necessary.

Escape veolcity for the Earth is in excess of 25000 mph.

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

I think it's been done for a couple dollars. At least to LEO :-)

Bob Kaplow

Cost me over $30 last weekend. I definitely left earth atomsphere, I achieved weightlessness, things got dark, re entry must have been rough. My head was pounding he next morning like I'd gotten beaten up, and I have no idea where I parked my rocket. ;-)

Chuck

Chuck Rudy

VooDoo Digital Productions

Chuck Rudy

Karl Martin Joseph Kowert wrote: > Only 30 BUCKS?? That don't get you far. Light-weight! :-) >

Mmm. 30 bucks is almost 2 litres of real 'Turkey. That'd get you close to geostationary when your landing gear retracts automatically. Guess you might see Pluto on that trip (and probably Donald, Huey, Dewey & Louie too), and if you've got enough propellant in yer tank, it's a fair bet you'd make a low pass as well ;-). Sure you'll need some extra for life-support equipment (chips, candy bars, bail etc.). Perhaps the mission'd be called the Bars Crawler?

G. UKRA #1264 L2

Reply to
Graham

Ah yes, good ol' Huey, Duey, an Louie. Miss them card shark robots, the cheats! :-) Classic in time.

-- KMJK

Reply to
Karl Martin Joseph Kowert

In article , "New Question" writes: How much would it cost to build a model rocket that has no purpose otherthan to break past earth's atmosphere into outerspace, and just keep ongoing? I think it's been done for a couple dollars. At least to LEO :-) Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD" Cost me over $30 last weekend. I definitely left earth atomsphere, I achieved weightlessness, things got dark, re entry must have been rough. My head was pounding he next morning like I'd gotten beaten up, and I have no idea where I parked my rocket. ;-)

Chuck

Boy, I'd be around alpha centuri if i tried a third of that amount. someof tend to spend most of our free vaulta on engines

Reply to
tater schuld

Ahh Yes "Silent Running" a great film that was added to my DVD collection last year via Amazon.... A really great science fiction movie. Tha additional material included on the DVD regarding the making of the movie was also pretty cool.

Mark A Palmer TRA 08542....L3

Reply to
Mark A Palmer

Oh yeah sure - BUT - they won't go anywhere, since there's no air to push against.

Right?

;O)

(ducking.......)

Reply to
BB

I assume you left out the vehicle development cost in that estimate.

;-)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Mark B. Bundick mbundick - at - earthlink - dot - net NAR President www - dot - nar - dot - org

Reply to
Mark B. Bundick

But if you clean your casing as soon as possible after ejection and descent, you can somewhat minimize the risks.

Reply to
BB

I forgot Jerry, did you run for the position?

Reply to
tater schuld

what development? NASA has a half dozen capable vehicles, fully tested waiting for the industry or any individual taxpayer to use.

odd to believe that the redstone had no fatalities, or the Thor, or the Titan. but we are still using the Shuttle. ok, NASA is using the shuttle, others are working on other designs.

Reply to
tater schuld