Model Rockets Capable of Reaching Outer Space

Bob, I think the ship was more of style follows function, than a copy of

2001. The model was custom built, and operated on 'startrek' gravity (lets just ignore the gravity issue).

I did a quick search and here's a pretty hefty page on the Valley Forge:

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Possibly. Some folks who worked on 2001 also worked on SR and then on Starlost (which clearly used recycled SR parts). Check out the web, eh?

The promotional film is a hoot.

-Fred "May I be of assistance" Shecter NAR 20117

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Digital or Analog?

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

Metric!!

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

three things happened landing Apollo 11: two landing computer error codes (1101 & 1102) that Neil Armstrong flew through, and Eagle overshot the (boulder-free) landing area by a couple miles so they burned a lot of fuel looking around.

I am watching the films of the landing again. Neil and Buzz sure make it look easy but it wasn't, not by a long ways.

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

1201 alarm (I believe twice).

They landed with 15 seconds fuel remaining.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

That's what they thought, at the time, but later it turned out they had more fuel than the sensors thought they had (due to sloshing). Something like

50 seconds I think (wow!).

I had a similar experience once, pulled into a gas station JUST as I ran out of gas. I had to push the car to the pump, and the IDIOT attendant wouldn't let me put $3 worth of gas in my car (that's all the money I had on me at the time.... this was back during the Carter era, during a fuel crisis when there was a $5 mimimum fuel purchase requirements to prevent people from "topping off" every day). I had to BUY a gas can for about $2, fill THAT with a buck's worth of gas, empty it into my tank, and drive home.

Reply to
BB

With all due respect, this troll-thread is not the one you should be reading for stress relief. I stay out of tech and glue and glider and scale threads for the most part. My advise is to avoid the threads you can obviously see are heated discussions. It's actually not all that hard to differentiate between them. Crap is long tomes and good stuff is short and sweet :)

P.S. I am.

P.S. I am. But there is a HIGH level of resistence.

P.S. I am.

Watch and learn.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Karl, suggested reading for you:

p.s. Killfiles are wonderful.

Reply to
BB

What I meant to say was how much would it cost to send an unmanned rocket into space? One that is designed to do nothing else but race past the earth's atmosphere?

Reply to
New Question

About double (150-200%) the size of the Scout. I was the only person to answer the question. I still am.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The Primera rocket designed by the CSXT group cost $100,000--it was designed to be the first non-government rocket to make it into space. It carried a ham radio transmitter--how else would you know where it went? It involved students of Hall High school in Connecticut.

I corresponded with engineer who tried to build his own radar to track rockets--it was failure despite years of effort--just too difficult a task. Might have been different with a $100,000 budget.

Zack Lau W1VT NAR 80361

Reply to
Zack Lau

So you are seriously saying it would be more realistic to design a gun with a bullet that could reach space, than a rocket that could reach space?

Reply to
New Question

Was that engineer working The Civilian Space eXploration Team (CSXT) or was that something entirely different?

Reply to
New Question

For someone at your sophistication level? By far.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

So, do you think it would be reasonable to embed a nanotechnolgy ham radio and camera inside the bullet so I can sell the flight pictures to the highest bidders on eBay? : )

Reply to
New Question

Any radio or camera has issues at high G's.

If you ever get to the point where you have a practical scheme to fund an actual orbital flight, then contact me offline.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

designed

Hey Jerry, how about a few of your S motors? Three stages and min dia.

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3

Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

was

Send the motors here, send the invoice to Ashcroft. ;-)

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3

Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

designed

Not yet, but they are still trying, here's the story:

New Question