Model Rockets Capable of Reaching Outer Space

Any model rocket hitching a ride on the Shuttle would make it.

Rocket Flyer Southeast Georgia

Reply to
Rocket Flyer

That post was directed at the Preesident of the National Association of Rocketry, Mark Bundick.

Wanna bet if he replies in substance?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

way more money than you have.

nasa has only managed to do this what 5 or 6 times ?

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

I think roughly 13,000mph is required for orbit and 25,000 to break free of earth's direct influence.

now keep in mind escape velocity is a myth. their is no such thing as a minimum speed to break earth's gravity.

you can do it at any speed you want if you are capable of it.

25,000mph is required if you want to COAST out of earth's gravity without adding further power.

So if you want to go BANG and then coast you need 25k

since that is all we are currently capable of doing then yes you need 25k to break free.

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

Joel. phx

Some of those did have a purpose other than to just dump hardware into outer space, so just take the booster cost.. Moon 15+ Mars 12+ Venus Jupiter comets : :

Reply to
Joel Corwith

The robots were a hoot, definitely the best thing about that movie. The plot, however, was like something cooked up by E.L.F. Still a fun movie as long as you ignore the ecoterrorist crap.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Neil Armstrong and Dave Scott on Gemini 8.

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

Great movie. I'll have to check out the DVD version. "Save the forest". ;-)

Mark Simpson

More dodged bullets: Apollo 11 came damn close to an abort-to-orbit during landing, as the Eagle was within seconds of running out of fuel at touchdown. They came real close to calling an abort on Apollo 12, when the CM lost power due to a lightning strike right after launch.

Reply to
BB

Two lightning strikes.

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

They also almost had to launch from the surface almost immediately, as a slug of fuel in the lines of the descent stage froze, and it caused pressure to build up almost to the bursting point. Fortunately, the residual heat of the engine leaked through and melted the slug of fuel shortly before it reached burst values.

They also broke off a circuit breaker while getting ready for EVA, as they were putting their packs on. But it wasn't anything important, just the circuit breaker to firing the main ascent engine! Mission Control spent the EVA time trying to find a bypass method, but fortunately Buzz Aldrin was able to use the internal cartridge of a pen to 'set' the breaker, and it stayed.

They were hit not once, but twice! This led to the famous "SCE to AUX" call by John Aarons (in order to reset the CM systems), which saved them from an abort.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

"BB" wrote in news:wFw2b.12541$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

Not only that, they don't have wings!

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

If I remember the 'Failure is not an Option' show correctly, he was also the one which said, shutdown the capsule to save the batteries during the Apollo13 mission.

Joel. phx

And soon after placed in charge of Electrical & Environmental.

Knowing what, let alone where the switch was was the other atta-boy!

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Amazon.com seems to be an expensive place to shop. I just checked there, andthey want $29.99 for this disk. A quick trip to

finds several places selling it for half that, including a low price of

13.99 form a place less than a mile off my trip to/from work...

I've used dvdpricesearch for ALL of my internet DVD purchases, and it's always found me the best deals.

Bob Kaplow

Of course. He asked about the cost of building the rocket. NOT the delivery charges!

Bob Kaplow

I didn't pay more than $15.00 for it...thought I got it at Amazon...Maybe not...I tend to buy things all over the place.

Mark Palmer TRA 08542 L3

Reply to
Mark A Palmer

Dave Scott. later flew on Apollo 9 (LM test) and commanded Apollo 15 (lunar landing, first rover)

Bob Kaplow

Hardly, Chris. Many Pioneer craft to Venus and Mars. Viking. Voyager. All the Mars missions. COBE. Dozens of other objects now in solar orbit.

Not to mention "junk" like Saturn-V third stages that sent men to the moon ended up in solar orbits. And moon probes that missed!

Bob Kaplow

If you consider 17,500 "roughly 13K"...

Bob Kaplow

Was the ship recycled from 2001, or did it just look like it?

Bob Kaplow